Coronavirus Stimulus Check Notices: Did You Get Error Letter 6470 From IRS?

Published on

Americans are unlikely to get more stimulus checks, but many are getting notices related to the stimulus checks. Several taxpayers have reported getting two notices from the IRS, but of the two coronavirus stimulus check notices, the second one seems to have confused people more.

Get The Full Series in PDF

Get the entire 10-part series on Charlie Munger in PDF. Save it to your desktop, read it on your tablet, or email to your colleagues.

Q2 2021 hedge fund letters, conferences and more

Coronavirus Stimulus Check Notices: What Do They Say?

The first letter (CP 11, CP 12, or CP 13) from the IRS informed taxpayers that the agency had made changes to their tax returns. Owing to these changes, the taxpayer would either get a refund, owes money to the IRS or has no balance with the agency.

The first letter was more or less clear to the taxpayers, but it is the second letter that is resulting in a lot of confusion. This second notice (letter 6470) makes reference to the first letter, and informs taxpayers that they have the right to appeal if they don’t agree with the first letter.

Moreover, the second letter apologizes for not informing about the right to appeal with the first notice. Many taxpayers got this confusing second letter only recently, pushing them to ask for help on social media platforms.

Many also doubted the genuineness of this letter. However, these are genuine letters from the IRS. We reported the faulty “math error notices” previously as well.

Talking about their connection with the stimulus checks, these letters are mainly sent to those who filed the recovery rebate credit. Those who are eligible for the stimulus checks, but didn’t get one, can claim their stimulus payment by filing the recovery rebate credit.

What To Do If You Got The Notices

The majority of letters (first notice) informed people that they aren’t eligible for the recovery rebate, or are eligible for less credit. These letters failed to inform taxpayers about the right to appeal, and thus, the IRS had to send a notice (letter 6470).

In no way, however, does the second notice negate the information in the first letter. This means that if the first letter states that a taxpayer made a calculation error, then the second letter doesn’t invalidate this claim.

If you agree with the claims of the first letter, then you don’t have to do anything. And, if you disagree, then you have the right to appeal against it. This is what the second letter informs as well. You have 60 days to appeal against the IRS claims.

However, you must be ready with the calculations and documentation to prove that your calculation is correct. If you have any questions regarding the letter, then you can call the number provided in the letter.

Those who disagree with the IRS calculation, the agency asks them to “review the notice and the Recovery Rebate Credit questions and answers before contacting the IRS.”