How COVID-19 Has Changed Smoking Habits of 72% of U.S Pot Smokers

Updated on

The coronavirus outbreak hit the world by surprise, and people had no other choice but to quarantine themselves in their households to limit the spread of the virus. Needless to say, every person in every household has to deal with everybody else’s habits. So, how did weed smokers immediate family and friends feel about their pot hobby now? Were there any notable changes at all? conducted a survey involving 1,017 US cannabis consumers to see how things changed since the coronavirus outbreak.

Know more about Russia than your friends:

Get our free ebook on how the Soviet Union became Putin's Russia.

Q1 2020 hedge fund letters, conferences and more


COVID-19 Impacts on Weed Smokers

According to the WHO (World Health Organization), smokers are likely to be more vulnerable to COVID-19 as the act of smoking puts your fingers and lips in constant contact. Moreover, smokers may already be suffering from reduced lung capacity which would greatly increase the risk of serious illness.

Despite the high risk, 45.56% of participants with lung problems and 65.53% of participants without lung problems still don’t agree that smoking weed will make weed smokers more susceptible to coronavirus.

But 54.35% of the participants with lung problems agreed that they are more susceptible to coronavirus. Sames goes for 34.47% of the participants without lung problems that also agreed on this statement.

This divided community also explains why 28.35% of them still share their joints, bongs, bowls, pipes, spliffs, vape pens, etc. with their stoner friends while the remaining 71.65% stopped sharing since the outbreak for obvious reasons.

According to 28.35% who still share with friends, 29.89% just don’t see any reason why they should stop sharing them. 32.07% just want to have some fun with their friends as they relieve some stress while the remaining 38.04% just can’t get rid of the habit of sharing even though they’re aware of the consequences.

Of the 71.65% that chose to stop sharing, 21.29% of them did so to practice social distancing while 15.7% of them just wanted to lower the risk of getting infected with coronavirus via sharing joints, spliffs, vape pens, etc. 63.01% of them said they both practice social distancing and wanted lower the risk of getting infected.

Weed Smoking Habits Amid the Outbreak

Because of the lockdown policy, how did the U.S. cannabis consumers respond at home? Did they smoke more weed or perhaps resort to other consuming methods besides smoking?

According to the data, only 29.28% of the participants smoked more weed since the outbreak while 26.50% smoked less weed.

While 38.52% of them smoked the same amount of weed, only 5.70% quit smoking since the coronavirus outbreak.

Additionally, because of the lockdown policy, 36.67% of the participants are worried about not being able to pay for their cannabis as opposed to 63.33% who aren’t worried at all.

Weed Smokers and Preferred Consuming Methods After the Outbreak

Others were aware of the risk of getting coronavirus via smoking, which explains why 28.04% of the participants decided to switch to other marijuana consuming methods such as eating edibles, consuming oils, etc. while the remaining 71.96% decided to just smoke cannabis instead.

Aside from trying other consuming methods, other participants also tried other anxiety relief supplements as well. But only 34.51% did resort to other anxiety relief supplements, the remaining 65.49% remained using cannabis to ease their anxiety.

Of the 34.51% that did try other anxiety relief supplements, 76% of them still claimed weed is more effective while only 24% find that weed is less effective.

COVID-19 Impacts on Attitudes Towards Pot Smoking

Since cannabis consumers are forced to smoke weed at home, their families had to deal with it. But how did their family feel about this?

According to 13.25% of them, their family is against it, especially during the pandemic while another 13.56% of them had seen some negativity from their family’s and friend’s actions although nothing too serious.

Even though 4.01% of them were discriminated against for smoking weed during the pandemic, 69.18% of them felt nothing had changed since the start of the pandemic.

What about the participant’s stoner friends? Do they still share their weed with them?

According to 34.82% of the participants, their stoner friends continue to share their weed with them even though it’s risky. On the flip side, 65.18% of the participants had noticed that their stoner friends stopped sharing weed with them to reduce the risks of getting infected with the virus.

Article by Dwight K. Blake