The iPhone 6 could be launched in August, a month earlier than previously expected. Citing unnamed supply chain sources, Taiwan’s Economic Daily News said Friday that the next incarnation of the iPhone will be unveiled in August.
Apple partners to produce 80 million iPhone 6 units this year
The larger 5.5-inch or 5.6-inch model of iPhone 6 is likely to hit the stores in September. The Taiwanese publication didn’t specify which markets will receive the next iPhone 6 first. Rumors around the 5.6-inch version have surfaced in the past, including a report from the same Taiwanese newspaper in February. However, the prevailing speculation is that the bigger version will have a 5.5-inch screen rather than 5.6-inch.
Gates Capital Management's ECF Value Funds have a fantastic track record. The funds (full-name Excess Cash Flow Value Funds), which invest in an event-driven equity and credit strategy Read More
The Economic Daily News said that Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL)’s Asian partners will produce at least 80 million iPhone 6 models in 2014. Industry experts have reiterated that a bigger screen iPhone would help the tech giant regain market share from rivals such as Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (LON:BC94) (KRX:005930). Earlier this week, we reported that Pegatron Corporation (TPE:4938) will produce 15% of the total 4.7-inch iPhone 6 handsets. The remaining 85% will be produced by Foxconn Technology Co Ltd (TPE:2354).
iPhone 6 features
Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) is widely expected to unveil two new iPhones later this year. Both devices will feature sapphire displays. Its partner GT Advanced Technologies Inc (NASDAQ:GTAT) has started producing sapphire crystal, reportedly for the iPhone 6, at its Arizona facility. The new devices are also expected to feature an improved camera with optical image stabilization, A8 processor, an upgraded iOS 8 software, 1GB RAM, NFC integration, TouchID.
KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said last month that Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) will move the sleep/wake button from top to the side of iPhone 6 to facilitate convenience on a bigger phone. Thickness of the new phones is likely to be reduced to 6.5-7mm from 7.6mm of the iPhone 5S.
Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) shares slipped 0.26% to $586.46 in pre-market trading Friday.