Chef Big Shake serves up advice on turning your food passion into profits
Michael Gelband’s Exodus Point launched in 2018 with $8.5 billion in assets. Expectations were high that the former Millennium Management executive would be able to take the skills he had learned at Izzy Englander’s hedge fund and replicate its performance, after a decade of running its fixed income business. The fund looks to be proving Read More
FRANKLIN, Tenn. – (January 25, 2022) – Food is something we need to survive and thrive, but for many people, it’s more than that; it’s a passion. As such, there are many who turn that passion into profits when they take their love of food in an entrepreneurial direction. That’s exactly what Shawn Davis, otherwise known as Chef Big Shake, did when he took his hot chicken and fish to the people. Today, his Nashville hot chicken and fish is famous, with four restaurant locations, and more franchises continue to be added.
“Anyone who knows me is aware of my passion for food, which is why it’s only fitting that there be a line of restaurants in my honor,” explains Shawn Davis, otherwise known as Chef Big Shake and owner of Big Shake’s restaurants. “We have several more franchise locations in the lineup, and we are looking for more people who want to open one.”
The food business is one that many people get into, and for good reason. The public typically eats three times per day, day after day. There’s a lot of potential when it comes to sales. In fact, the National Restaurant Association reports that during 2020, there were $659 billion in sales.
It’s also an industry where those who are not initially experts can succeed. Roughly 8 out of 10 restaurant owners started their career in entry-level positions, while 9 in 10 restaurant managers started in entry-level positions. In other words, it’s a field where if you have a love of food, you can work your way up, learning the ropes, to achieve a lot of success.
Tips For Turning Your Passion For Food Into A Profitable Business
For those who are passionate about food and want to turn their passion into profits, consider these tips to help you get there:
- Determine what it is that you would like to do with your passion for food. Do you want to work for someone, have your business, cook, or oversee others who do? There is no right or wrong path; it’s a matter of what direction you want to take.
- Consider all your options, especially when it comes to something like franchising. Those who franchise a Chef Big Shake, for example, are able to have a business that immediately has name recognition, a reputation for great food, and all the support they need to get the business running and keep it thriving. Plus, following the pandemic, many people are leaving their jobs in search of opportunities that allow them to be their own boss and provide them with flexibility.
- If you are creating food that you want to sell, start small to test the market. It’s important to see if there is a market for what you are making before you invest a lot of money into it.
- Don’t believe that if you build it, they will come. They need to know where you are and what you offer. This means you need to get the word out through public relations, marketing, referrals, etc. This is an important area of business that is often overlooked but is a must if you want success.
- Ask for help and get the support you need. You love food; that doesn’t mean you know every aspect of business, and that’s okay. Reach out to get the help you need so your questions are answered and you are guided toward success. There are plenty of people who will be happy to help you navigate your way.
“We are helping several people with their business goals of being involved in the food industry,” added Davis. “We look forward to helping many more, too. Whether you franchise a Big Shake or you get your product on the grocery store shelves, take the leap to make it happen and follow your foodie passions. You won’t regret it!”
Big Shake's currently has four locations, in Franklin, Tenn., Columbia, Tenn., Huntsville, Ala., and Madison, Ala. Additional locations in Nashville and Tuscaloosa are underway. Chef Big Shake became famous for his signature shrimp burgers, which were featured on the hit show “Shark Tank.” They have sold hundreds of thousands of them. The restaurant has also become famous for its hot chicken plates, chicken sandwiches, hot chicken and waffles, hot chicken tacos, and more. They also feature a variety of fish entrees, including whiting and catfish. Diners can choose their level of heat, ranging from “cry baby” to “executioner.”
To learn more about Chef Big Shake’s online store or to place an order for national delivery, visit the site at: https://shopbigshakes.com/. To learn more about Big Shake’s Hot Chicken & Fish, visit the site at: https://www.bigshakeshotchicken.com/.
About Big Shake’s Hot Chicken & Fish
“Chef Big Shake,” was named after and founded by Shawn Davis, a man who worked his way up from restaurant dishwasher to chef to entrepreneur. After being passed up on the reality business show “Shark Tank,” he received the funding he needed to take his business national. Today, he owns Big Shake’s Hot Chicken & Fish restaurants. Davis has also been featured on such shows as Man vs. Food, Food Paradise, Access Hollywood, and QVC, among others. To learn more about the restaurant chain, visit the site at: https://www.bigshakeshotchicken.com/.
National Restaurant Association. Get the facts with the latest National Statistics.