Investment Strategies that Emerge After Decoding Wall Street Propaganda via CSInvesting
I. Define Propaganda and Why It Matters
II. Outline Steps for Decoding
Black Bear Value Fund update for the month ended November 30, 2022. Q3 2022 hedge fund letters, conferences and more Dear Partners and Friends, Black Bear . . . SORRY! This content is exclusively for paying members. SIGN UP HERE If you are subscribed and having an account error please clear cache and cookies if Read More
III. Present Emerging Investment Strategy
Part I: What Is the Propaganda and Why Does It Matter?
“…transfer property from the hands of many to the pockets of few.” from Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation by Edward Chancellor
What Is The Propaganda
Reported Earnings Are Reliable
- Quarterly Earnings Conference Calls Provide Adequate Information
- Earnings are a reliable measure of profitability
Earnings Growth Drives Valuation
- Price-to-earnings and other simple valuation techniques are accurate
- Market cares about this quarter’s earnings more than anything else.
Wall Street Wants To Help Investors Make $
- Research aims to help investors make more informed decisions
- Brokerage services help create wealth for clients
- Spitzer Settlement has been effective
- Wall Street research coverage is not-conflicted
Define the Audience for the Propaganda
“If you are a speculator, your decision to buy or sell is based on what you believe about the near-term direction of price.” – Ben Graham
“…speculation is the activity of forecasting the psychology of the market.” – John Maynard Keynes
“If you are an investor, your decision to buy and sell is based on the underlying economics of the stock you own.” – Ben Graham
“Investing is an activity of forecasting the yield on assets over the life of the asset…” – John Maynard Keynes
Jump On the Bandwagon
Proof That There Is Lots of Speculation
Shorter Holding Periods for Stocks
- Until mid-1960’s average holding period was 7 years.
- Today, average holding period is less than 1 year and annual portfolio turnover is more than 100%.
Major Reactions to Quarterly Earnings
- Stock prices make large moves in response to earnings surprises.
- Suggests that long-term cash flows are less important.
Amateur Individual Investors – growth market
- Schwab, TD Waterhouse, Scottrade
- Day trading
Media – growth market
- TV: Mad Money, CNBC Squawk Box and Squawk on the Street.
- Print: Wall Street Journal, Investors Business Daily, local newspapers.
- Web: Motley Fool, The Street.Com, CBS MarketWatch
See full PDF below.