Big pharma is not the only answer to treating ailments. There is actually a plant that can be used to treat a wide variety of conditions, and until about 1979 it grew wild across the country. That plant is cannabis, and it can be used to make CBD oil, which can treat anything from anxiety to drug addiction. But how can one compound treat so many different ailments? The answer lies in human physiology.
CBD interacts with the serotonin in the human body, and this one neurotransmitter can control a whole host of bodily processes. It can inhibit fear and anxiety, control stress levels and response, and much more. When your serotonin levels get depleted your body can experience a whole host of different reactions, ranging from anxiety and depression to inflammatory disorders. Over time low serotonin can have a cumulative effect that leads to more and more problems, and CBD can help reverse that trend.
CBD oil can be derived from hemp or marijuana plants, though purity can vary depending on the source and process used to derive the oil. It can be taken multiple ways:
- Pill or oral supplement
- Lotion on the skin
- Tincture absorbed orally
Different methods of taking CBD should be taken into account according to which ailment you are treating. It’s best to ask a medical professional for advice on method and dosage, and it’s getting much easier to do so thanks to state laws being passed across the country legalizing the use of marijuana or hemp products for medicinal or recreational use within those states.
Some of the ailments that can be treated very effectively with CBD oil include:
- Nausea from chemotherapy - CBD can help stimulate a suppressed appetite to aid overall recovery
- Nausea from motion sickness
- Nausea related to migraines
- Sleep disorders - stress related sleep disorders can be treated effectively with CBD oil
- Chronic pain - CBD has been shown to reduce pain associated with nerve damage, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and cancer
- Drug addiction - early studies show CBD gel can help alleviate drug seeking behaviors
- Anxiety and depression - can help stimulate serotonin production, reversing symptoms
If hemp and marijuana aren’t legal for medical use in your state yet, it’s time to start writing to your representatives. Even if you don’t need them right now, chances are you or someone you love will stand to benefit from them at some point. Learn more about the benefits of CBD oil from this infographic.