A lot of people have been running into an issue when trying to update their iOS 11 beta to one of the new versions that were released earlier this week. Basically, they’re finding that their iOS device is stuck on “Preparing Update” for a very, very long time. If it was preparing dinner we all would have starved by now. Luckily, there is an easy way to fix this and restart the update process. This shouldn’t take you more than a minute and you’ll be back on track to getting iOS 11 Beta 6 or Public Beta 5 up and running on your device. Here’s what to do:
- You are going to have to re-download the update so make sure you’re on WiFi if you don’t want to burn through your data allotment.
- Open the “Settings” app on your device.
- Go to “General” and then :iPhone Storage.” This is going to pull up everything you have stored on your device.
- Locate the iOS OTA update file, tap on it, and delete it.
- Now go back to the “General” section of your settings and tap “Software Update.” Once you tap download and install then the file will begin downloading again and the process should work smoothly this time around.
That should solve your issue if you are stuck on “preparing update.” Like I said, the whole process of restarting the download shouldn’t take longer than a minute. Of course, the download may take longer depending on your connection speed. If you run into an issue where you don’t see the “Download and Install” button after deleting the iOS OTA update file then power off and restart your device. Once it powers back on, give it a minute before navigating back to the software update section inside your settings. The old, “turn it off and turn it back on” trick is always a good troubleshooting step.
Hopefully, if you were stuck on preparing update, the instructions above help you get the new iOS beta up and running on your device!