If you’ve recently bought an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus via AT&T, you’ll have noticed it’s not unlocked, which means You can’t use a SIM card from another carrier. However, if you paid outright for the handset, you can unlock the iPhone 7 quickly and use a different carrier.
AT&T iPhone Unlock: are you eligible?
Unfortunately for AT&T customers, it locks all 4G devices to its network, so iPhone 7 owners can’t pop in any SIMS card they want. However, unlocking an iPhone 7 from AT&T is not a difficult task if you already own the handset outright. Once that’s done, you can either continue to use the handset or sell it on for a higher price.
But if you still owe money on your handset, you will have to go through the company’s unlocking procedure, which will require that your iPhone meet the following guidelines:
- Be designed for use on, and locked to, the AT&T network
- Not be reported lost or stolen
- Not be involved with fraudulent activity
- Have all service commitments and installment plans completed and all early termination fees paid in full
- Not currently be active on a different AT&T customer’s account
You can find out more about this at AT&T DeviceUnlock.
If you’ve paid the full price of your iPhone, use the following process to unlock your iPhone 7.
How to unlock iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
Important: This iPhone unlock tutorial will only work if you’ve fully paid for your device and not using a contract or upgrade program.
Requirements: Before you begin to unlock your iPhone 7, you will need to make a backup using iTunes or iCloud. Additionally, you should restore the device using iTunes.
However, if you have yet to use the handset, you are free to start the tutorial without backing up.
- First, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes.
- Switch on your iPhone and connect it to your Windows or Mac computer with iTunes.
- Next, iTunes will load an account setup screen. Here you will be prompted to enter your zip code and the last four digits of the account holder’s social security number. Once you have completed, these steps, click continue.
- Next, you will see terms of service for both Apple and AT&T. If you want to read it, do so. However, if you want to move on quickly, click continue.
- You will see a screen which says, “AT&T is currently activating your iPhone.” You should click continue and then be patient for a minute or two.
- Now, once you see the word Congratulations, click on continue.
- On the following page, you will see a message congratulating you on having completed the iPhone 7 unlocking process.
Now that you have completed the iPhone 7 unlock procedure, you can use a compatible SIM card from any carrier. However, if you had problems during the unlock process or your device is still locked, you need to contact AT& T.
Did you find this article helpful? Please share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.