Extinction Rebellion LA Activists Shut Down Sunset Boulevard and Call on CNN to Increase Coverage of Climate Crisis
LOS ANGELES – Extinction Rebellion Los Angeles (XRLA) expanded its non-violent Climate Emergency campaign with a Hollywood ‘Block’ Party today, culminating in a direct action blockade in front of the CNN Building for Global Climate Week. XRLA is demanding that the global news network urgently increase its Climate Emergency coverage, insisting that humanity is running out of time.
Extinction Rebellion LA called on CNN to act on an 8-point set of demands:
- That CNN declare we are in a Climate Emergency. Our natural world is collapsing, and connections between climate crisis and mass migration, ecosystem collapse, political instabilities, and environmental racism must be at the center of your coverage.
- That CNN support the rights of all people to mobilize in defense of life itself, regularly scheduling global Climate Emergency Town Halls that feature scientists and front-line activists telling the truth about our ecological emergency.
- That CNN publish daily Climate Emergency segments with the same degree of urgency placed on informing the public about 9/11 and the Iraq War, highlighting the ongoing devastation experienced by our most vulnerable communities.
- Additionally, that CNN prioritize journalistic integrity before profit, rejecting all advertising from fossil fuel corporations and their bankers.
- That CNN, its subsidiaries, and its supply chain agree to be zero-carbon by 2025.
What do you think about extinction rebellion? Do you support or oppose them? Even though per capita the USA pollutes more than China and India, those countries are growing rapidly. How can we address the problems if we do not even acknowledge those two countries with close to 2.5 billion people are at the core of the future of planet earth? Please let us know in the comments section what you think about these young protestors.