I am an avid reader about all things finance related.
History, investing strategies, philosophy, risk, and everything else.
Abacab Fund Sees Mispricing In Options As Black-Scholes Has Become “Inadequate”
Abacab Asset Management's flagship investment fund, the Abacab Fund, had a "very strong" 2020, returning 25.9% net, that's according to a copy of the firm's year-end letter to investors, which ValueWalk has been able to review. Commenting on the investment environment last year, the fund manager noted that, due to the accelerated adoption of many Read More
Many who know me have seen my huge library of physical books I have in my house and stacks of books all over the place.
I am a firm believer that a good investing book should above all else be practical. Most is just noise and useless theory that doesn’t do anything for the reader.
For instance – how many books cove the history about the Great Depression? There are only so many books I can read about it. Give me something to take away from it that I can use today.
So after debating with my team, we compiled a list of books that have impacted us and think will give you practical use – as well as give you your money’s worth.
Nowhere else will you find such large and resourceful book list. . .
Risk Management, Uncertainty, Probabilities, and Dealing with Volatility. . .
- Black Swan by Nassim Taleb
- Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Taleb
- The Signal and the Noise by Nate Silver
- The Fat Tail by Ian Bremmer and Preston Kent
- The Drunkards Walk by Leonard Mlodinow
- Against the Gods by Peter L. Bernstein
- The Misbehavior of Markets by Benoit Mandelbrot
- When Genius Failed by Roger Lowenstein
- The Theory That Would Not Die – Bayes Theroem by Sharon Mcgrayne
- How to Lie with Statistics by Darrell Huff
Being Contrarian. . .
- Be Unreasonable by Paul Lemberg
- The Art of Contrary Thinking by Humphrey Bancroft Neill
- Contrarian Investment Strategies: Beat the Market Against the Crowd by David Dreman
- The Trouble with Prosperity – A Contrarian’s Tale of Boom, Bust, and Speculation by Jim Grant
- Liars Poker by Michael Lewis
- The Big Short by Michael Lewis
- Selling America Short: The SEC and Market Contrarians in the Age of Absurdity by Richard Sauer
- The Big Score: Robert Friedland, INCO, and the Voisey Bay Hustle by Jacquie McNish
All Things ‘Cycle Theory’ Related. . .
- Tomorrow’s Gold by Marc Faber
- Capital Returns by Edward Chancellor
- Devil Take the Hindmost by Edward Chancellor
- BULL: A History of Boom and Busts by Maggie Mahar
- The Austrian Theory of the Trade Cycle and Other Essays edited by Richard M. Ebeling
- Austrian School Business Cycle Theory by Murray Rothbard
- The Origin of Financial Crises by George Cooper
- The Structure of Production by Mark Skousen
- The Great Wave: Price Revolutions and the Rhythm of History by David Hacket Fischer
Macro-Economics. . .
- Currency Wars by Jim Rickards
- The Alchemy of Finance by George Soros
- When Money Dies by Adam Fergusson
- Adaptive Markets: Financial Evolution by Andrew W. Lo
- The End of Theory: Financial Crises, the Failure of Economics by Richard Bookstaber
- The Invisible Hands by Steven Drobny
- More Money Than God by Sebastian Mallaby
- Monetary Regimes and Inflation: History, Economics, and Political Relationships by Peter Bernholz
Behavioral Economics and Finance. . .
- The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis
- Misbehaving by Richard Thaler
- The Art of Thinking Clearly by Rolf Dobelli
- The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind by Gustave Le Bon
- The Art of Strategy: A Game Theorist’s Guide to Success in Business and Life by Avinash Dixit
- Fads and Fallacies by Martin Gardner
- Thank You for Arguing: What Aristotle, Lincoln, And Homer Simpson Can Teach Us About the Art of Persuasion by Jay Heinrichs
- What I Learned Losing a Million Dollars by Jim Paul
- Essays of Persuasion by John Maynard Keynes
- More Than You Know: Finding Financial Wisdom in Unconventional Places by Michael J. Mauboussin
- Market Wizards: How Winning Traders Win by Jack D. Schwager
- Behavioral Investing: A Practitioners Guide to Applying Behavioral Finance by James Montier
Complex System and the Science of Complexity. . .
- Simply Complexity by Neil Johnson
- Why Stock Markets Crash: Critical Events in Complex Financial Systems by Didier Sornette
- Complexity, Risk, and Financial Markets by Edgar Peters
- The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell
Theory of Economics. . .
- Man, Economy, State by Murray Rothbard
- America’s Great Depression by Murray Rothbard
- Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt
- The Case for Gold by Ron Paul
- Human Action by Ludwig Von Mises
- The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek
- The Causes of Economic Crisis – Essays by Ludwig Von Mises
- Socialism by Ludwig Von Mises
- The Essays of Political Economy by Fredric Bastiat
- Stabilizing an Unstable Economy by Hyman Minsky
Interest Rates, Banking, and The Federal Reserve. . .
- Creature from Jekyll Island by Edward Griffin
- End the Fed by Ron Paul
- The Case Against the Fed by Murray Rothbard
- The Man Who Knew: The Life and Times of Alan Greenspan by Sebastian Mallaby
- America’s Bank: The Epic Struggle to Create the Federal Reserve by Roger Lowenstein
Value Investing and other Investing Strategies. . .
- Security Analysis by Benjamin Graham
- Antifragile by Nassim Taleb
- The Most Important Thing Illuminated by Howard Marks
- Manual of Ideas by John Mihaljevic
- Margin of Safety by Seth Klarman
- You Can Be a Stock Market Genius by Joel Greenblatt
- The Dao of Capital by Mark Spitznagel
- Reminiscences of a Stock Operator by Edwin Lefevre
- Pitch the Perfect Investment by Paul D. Sonkin, Paul Johnson
- Accounting for Value by Stephen Penman
- Financial Shenanigans: How To Detect Accounting Gimmicks & Fraud in Financial Reports by Howard Schilit
- The Dark Side of Valuation: Valuing Young, Distressed, and Complex Businesses by Aswath Damodaran
- Value Investing: Tools and Techniques for Intelligent Investment by James Montier
- Distressed Debt Analysis: Strategies for Speculative Investors by Stephen G. Moyer
Optionality, Anti-fragility and Option Trading. . .
- Antifragile by Nassim Taleb
- Dynamic Hedging: Managing Vanilla and Exotic Options by Nassim Taleb
- Commodity Options by Carley Garner and Paul Brittain
Short Selling and Profiting from Collapsing Prices. . .
- Dead Companies Walking by Scott Fearon
- Art of Short Selling by Kathryn Staley
- The Most Dangerous Trade by Richard Teitelbaum
- Anatomy of the Bear by Russel Napier
- Short Selling: Finding Uncommon Short Ideas by Amit Kumar
Other Various Great Reads. . .
- Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin to Munger by Peter Bevelin
- The Gold Cartel by Dimitri Speck
- Adventure Capitalist by Jim Rogers
- Street Smarts by Jim Rogers
- Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins
- By All Means Necessary: How China’s Resource Quest is Changing the World by Elizabeth Economy
- Hot Commodities by Jim Rogers
- Barbarians at the Gate: The Fall of RJR Nabisco by Bryan Burrough
- The Autobiography of Benjamin by Franklin Stanley Applebaum
- Fiat Money: Inflation in France by Andrew Dickson White
- The Colder War by Marin Katusa
- Borrow: The American Way of Debt by Louis Hyman
- Skin in the Game: Hidden Asymmetries in Life by Nassim Taleb
- A Man for All Markets by Edward Thorpe
- The Greatest Trade Ever by Gregory Zuckerman
- Petrodollar Warfare: Oil, Iraq, and the Future of the Dollar by William R. Clark
- The Alchemist by Paul Coelho
- The Tyranny of Experts by William Easterly
- The Logic of Scientific Discovery by Karl Popper
Previously Published HERE https://palisade-research.com/recommended-reading/
About The Author
Editor-in-Chief of Palisade Research
Before joining Palisade Global Investments, Adem was a Research Analyst at Stansberry Research – under Agora Financial. Adem is a born contrarian and has extensive knowledge of markets, financial history, and economics. He is a value investor and fascinated with cycle theory. But his focus on ‘black swans’ and how to position oneself to make huge returns during volatile times is what really separates him from the rest.