Our analysis of gold-backed ETFs and similar products, provides detailed information and insights on global trends in gold investment demand through ETFs.
Regional fund flows
- North American funds accumulated 21.5t of gold (US$940mn, 1.8% AUM).
- European funds, added 7.6t (US$35mn, 8bp AUM)
- Asian funds lost 1.4t (US$33mn, 1% AUM)
- Other regions had marginal outflows of 0.1t (US$9mn, 51bp AUM)
There's a gold rush coming as electric vehicle manufacturers fight for market share, proclaimed David Einhorn at this year's 2021 Sohn Investment Conference. Check out our coverage of the 2021 Sohn Investment Conference here. Q1 2021 hedge fund letters, conferences and more SORRY! This content is exclusively for paying members. SIGN UP HERE If you Read More
Individual fund flows
- iShares Gold Trust added 17.8t (US$767mn, 7.6% AUM)
- SPDR® Gold Shares accumulated 3.8t (US$179mn, 51bp AUM)
- db Physical Gold Euro Hedged ETC accumulated 2.3t (US$45mn, 2.7% AUM)
- ETFS Physical Gold added 2.3t (US$74mn, 1.2% AUM)
- Xetra-Gold, the 2017 global leader of inflows, lost 2.4t (US$49mn, 67bp AUM).
- Chinese-listed Huann Yiffu lost 2.2t (US$96mn, 12.3% AUM)
- North America led global inflows as the gold price continued its late 2017 rally, and the US dollar weakened
- US-listed ETFs accounted for 73% of global net inflows in January, reversing the 2017 trend in which European funds dominated net inflows
Article by World Gold Council