Twenty-Seven is just about in the books and it’s time to look at the futures markets winners and losers of the year. Here’s the 2017 performance of the 47 futures markets listed on our quote service of choice, Finviz.
(Disclaimer: past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results)
- 69% of the markets ended the year with positive performance
- Palladium well outperformed the rest of the futures markets, and we wrote on the market here
- For having a wonderful year, Stock Index futures were near the top of but not at the top of the performance list
- VIX was down 25%. Last year, it was down 20%. With it hovering in the single digits, a simple point move might produce the same result. AKA – percentages can be deceiving.
- WTI broke $60 for the first time in 2.5 years, and was still only up 12% on the year.
- Bonds didn’t do much in 2017
- Finviz needs to add Bitcoin to this list!
We will have to see what’s in store for 2018, but in the meantime, be on the lookout for our 2017 Strategy Review and our 2018 Outlook.