Robert Shiller: Background & bio
Robert J. Shiller is Sterling Professor of Economics, Department of Economics and Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, and Professor of Finance and Fellow at the International Center for Finance, Yale School of Management. He received his B.A. from the University of Michigan in 1967 and his Ph.D. in economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1972. He has written on financial markets, financial innovation, behavioral economics, macroeconomics, real estate, statistical methods, and on public attitudes, opinions, and moral judgments regarding markets.
His 1989 book Market Volatility (MIT Press) is a mathematical and behavioral analysis of price fluctuations in speculative markets. His 1993 book Macro Markets: Creating Institutions for Managing Society’s Largest Economic Risks (Oxford University Press) (available via subscribing libraries on Oxford Online) proposes a variety of new risk-management contracts, such as futures contracts in national incomes or securities based on real estate that would permit the management of risks to standards of living. His book Irrational Exuberance (Princeton 2000, Broadway Books, 2001; 2nd edition Princeton, 2005; 3rd edition Princeton 2015) is an analysis and explication of speculative bubbles, with special reference to the stock market and real estate. His book The New Financial Order: Risk in the 21st Century (Princeton University Press, 2003) is an analysis of an expanding role of finance, insurance, and public finance in our future. His book Subprime Solution: How the Global Financial Crisis Happened and What to Do about It, published in September 2008 by Princeton University Press, offers an analysis of the housing and economic crisis and a plan of action against it. He co-authored, with George A. Akerlof, Animal Spirits: How Human Psychology Drives the Economy and Why It Matters for Global Capitalism published in March 2009 by Princeton University Press. His book,Finance and the Good Society, was published in April 2012 by Princeton University Press.
His repeat-sales home price indices, developed originally with Karl E. Case, are now produced by CoreLogicand published as the S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Indices. The Chicago Mercantile Exchange now maintains futures markets based on the S&P/Case-Shiller Indices.
He has been research associate, National Bureau of Economic Research since 1980, and has been co-organizer of NBER workshops: on behavioral finance with Richard Thaler since 1991, and onmacroeconomics and individual decision making (behavioral macroeconomics) with George Akerlof 1994-2007.
He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences jointly with Eugene Fama and Lars Peter Hansen in 2013.
He served as Vice President of the American Economic Association, 2005 and President of the Eastern Economic Association, 2006-07. He was elected President of the American Economic Association for 2016.
He writes a regular column “Finance in the 21st Century” for Project Syndicate, which publishes around the world, and “Economic View” for The New York Times.
- Finance and the Good Society
- The New Financial Order: Risk in the 21st Century
- The Subprime Solution: How Today’s Global Financial Crisis Happened, and What to Do about It
- Market Volatility
- Irrational Exuberance
- Macro Markets: Creating Institutions for Managing Society’s Largest Economic Risks
- He’s Not Talking A Bunch Of Bull
- Study Offers Novel Explanation: Investors Caused The Crash
- Recession Seen As Just A Matter Of Time
- Robert Samuelson .Housing Market May Be A Bubble
- Investors Caused The Crash
- Market Highs And Lows Are Evidence Of Other Factors .
- Will Housing Market Glide Or Crash? Experts Disagree
- The Rollercoaster Market
- Economist: Housing Slump May Exceed Depression
- Housing .Prices May Fall Another 10 Percent
- Budget Cuts Don’t Spell Another 1929
- Equity Support On The Horizon
Robert Shiller: Articles
- Shiller: “Are We Headed for Another Financial Crisis?”
- Shiller warns bond investors: Beware of ‘crash’!
- This Nobel Economist Spotted the Last Two Bubbles
- Everyone is scared: Nobel Prize winner Shiller
- Shiller on Debt and Delusion
- “It looks like a peak”
- PROF ROBERT SHILLER INTERVIEW
- Robert Shiller tries to understand why stocks are ‘very …
- Robert Shiller on What to Watch in This Wild Market
- Robert Shiller’s Nobel Knowledge
- Invest like a legend: Robert Shiller – The Globe and Mail
- Shiller, 2013 Econ Nobel Prize – Business Insider
- ROBERT SHILLER: This Doesn’t Look Like A Bond Bubble
- Shiller – Facts – Nobelprize.org
- Housing guru Shiller: Put your money in stocks
- Climate of fear deters investors
- Shiller’s Bubble Vision – Bloomberg View
- Shiller: This Country Is Proud Of Our Oil Technology
- Shiller: Buying A Home Isn’t Necessarily A Good …
- Don’t Say Warren Buffett and Robert Shiller Didn’t Warn You …
- Bubbles, Bitcoin And Bob Shiller’s Worst Stock Call – Forbes
- Quantitative easing may take Europe out of deflation: Robert Shiller
- Shiller: Speculative Asset Prices
- Nobel Prize Prof. Robert J. Shiller on Market Efficiency
- 2013 Nobel Prize winner in Economics talks about bubble
- Shiller Innovation in Financial Markets
- Goldman versus Google: A career on Wall Street or in
- Why So Many Experts Missed the Crash
- Talks to Charlie Rose about inequality
- Finance and The Good Society
- Investing in the Housing Market
- How Human Psychology Drives the
- Nobel Winner Shiller Joins Pimco in Saying Buy Greek Assets
- Long-Term Stock Predictions
- Robert Shiller Is Smarter Than You Are – Bloomberg
- Robert Shiller’s unconventional investment advice
- Robert Shiller: Wall Street Not Irrationally Exuberant–Yet …
- Robert Shiller: Housing data worrisome
- Shiller Warns of Housing Bubble After 225% Surg
- Here’s how to invest now
- Stronger Europe Is ‘Better for All of Us’: Robert Shiller
- Indexing Long Term Entitlement
- Africa’s Economic Future
- Brazil Housing Bubble