Interview Optimization: 38% of FAANG employees suggest interviewing before the holidays
Much of our work lives have moved online during the pandemic: group meetings, chats with the boss, and even interviewing for a new job.
Tech Employees Suggest Interviewing Before The Holidays
On Blind, the largest anonymous professional community with 4M users from big tech, unicorns, and startups, a Microsoft employee asked, "Just wondering if holidays would impact the interviewers in a good or bad way. If you are an interviewee and holidays like Christmas don't affect your performance, when would you prefer to have an interview?"
Key Learnings from 781 respondents:
- 38% of FAANG respondents suggest interviewing before the holidays
- 45% of finance professionals suggest interviewing before the holidays, while 35% of tech professionals give the same suggestion
- Overall, 29% of professionals across all companies and industries suggest waiting one week after the holidays to host their interview
- ⅓ of Facebook professionals suggest waiting one week after the holidays to interview for a job
- 67% of IBM professionals suggest waiting one week after the holidays to interview for a job
You can see a data breakdown below.
A different Microsoft user shared, "1. Many companies have hiring freezes until new openings after the New Year.
- The whole process slows down. From the application to interview to the actual offer, you have many cogs to turn. Some of those cogs may decide to take a vacation.
- Many won't be in the mood to interview people. Folks are wrapping up and finishing tasks, making sure that there are no urgent bugs; in their dreams, they are already on vacation with their family or friends."
Landing a job at a FAANG company is a dream come true for most silicon valley professionals.
Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, and Google are considered the top tier companies by many engineers on Blind. Those who aren't employed at one of these elite companies often try to get into one.
Factoring in timing to optimize the chances of landing that dream job may be worth the time.