The latest research by nationwide Buy-to-Let specialist, Sequre Property Investment, estimates that the current bricks and mortar value of the UK’s private rental sector sits at almost £1.4trillion pounds.
The Largest Private Rental Market
Sequre Property Investment compiled data on the number of current private rented dwellings across England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, before looking at the total value of these rental portfolios based on current property values.
It took decades for Warren Buffett to build Berkshire Hathaway into the conglomerate it is today. Along the way, the Oracle of Omaha and his business partners have acquired a range of different companies and extracted cash from failing businesses to reinvest back into growth stocks. Q2 2021 hedge fund letters, conferences and more The Read More
There are an estimated 5.5m privately rented homes across the UK, accounting for 19% of the entire property market. With the current average UK house price now at a giddy £254,624, this puts the PRS bricks and mortar value as high as £1.4trn.
England is home to by far the largest private rental market with 4.8m homes within the sector. This places the total value of the English rental market at £1.3trn based on the current average house price of £271,434.
London accounts for a notable 40% of this total market value, with the 1,042,000 rental homes located in the capital valued at nearly £519bn alone.
The South East (£234bn) and the East of England (£154bn) are also home to some of the most valuable rental markets, with rental stock in each region estimated to be worth more than £150bn.
Outside of England, Scotland ranks as the second most valuable rental market from a property standpoint, with the 371,000 privately rented homes worth nearly £64bn on the market today.
In Wales, this current rental market value stands just shy of £38bn, with the Northern Irish private rental market valued at nearly £18bn.
The Backbone Of The UK Housing Sector
Sales Director at Sequre Property Investment, Daniel Jackson, commented:
“The private rental market is the backbone of the UK housing sector and plays an incredibly important role in providing homes for those that are unable to overcome the financial hurdles associated with homeownership.
Despite this, we’ve seen a number of legislative changes implemented to deter landlords from the sector by a government that clearly has no idea what they are doing.
While it may only account for 19% of the total market, reducing the size of the sector would leave many struggling to find an alternative option with regard to their living arrangements.”
Table shows the estimated worth of the dwellings within the private rental sector based on the number of dwellings and the current market value of a home in each nation or region.
|Location||All dwellings||Private rented||Private rented as a % of all||Average Property Value||Total est value|
|East of England||2,733,000||497,000||18.20%||£310,200||£154,169,527,431|
|West Midlands region||2,537,000||451,000||17.80%||£219,793||£99,126,788,132|
|Yorkshire and the Humber||2,461,000||482,000||19.60%||£181,856||£87,654,406,816|
Average house prices souced from the Gov.uk - UK house Price Index (May 2021 - latest available)
- Sequre Property Investment is a leading nationwide Build to Let specialist in the UK.
- Founded in 2013, the company has sold over 3,000 buy to let properties worth over £300,000,000.
- Sequre’s focus is the provision of high-income producing, turnkey, discounted buy-to-let property investments in a number of major UK cities.
- The company has experienced tremendous annual growth, reporting consistently high increases in turnover year-on-year.
- Daniel is the Sales Director at Sequre and has over 20 years’ experience in the property sector mainly in the North as well as 3 years working on the BBC’s relocation of staff from London to Media City.
- He has been with Sequre since they started in 2013 and has worked with some of the country’s largest housing providers sourcing deals for investors.
- Find out more at https://sequre.co.uk/about-us/