With shopping season about to start, every retailer has come up with new strategies to boost sales. Retailers often use tricks like early Black Friday sales, free shipping and others to woo customers. However, eBay has come up with a new sale called “Better than Black Friday,” where shoppers don’t have to wait for Black Friday for deals and guaranteed best prices.
How eBay is challenging rivals
In addition to early access to the deals, eBay’s Better than Black Friday sale also claims to offer better deals than those offered by competitors. With its Better than Black Friday deals, eBay is going after big retailers like BJ’s Wholesale, Costco, JCPenney, Kohl’s, Macy’s, Target, and Walmart.
“eBay is launching ‘Better than Black Friday’ deals today, granting holiday shoppers early access to Black Friday savings by beating (and matching) Black Friday Circular Deals ahead of the Thanksgiving weekend,” the company said in a press release on Monday.
The following is our rough coverage of the 2021 Sohn Investment Conference, which is being held virtually and features Brad Gerstner, Bill Gurley, Octahedron's Ram Parameswaran, Glenernie's Andrew Nunneley, and Lux's Josh Wolfe. Q1 2021 hedge fund letters, conferences and more Keep checking back as we will be updating this post as the conference goes Read More
eBay’s Better than Black Friday sale starts today and will run through Nov. 18. New deals will be updated at 5 a.m. Pacific every day at ebay.com/BetterBlackFriday. To make the deals even more attractive, eBay is offering free shipping as well. The company is guaranteeing fast (three days or less) and free delivery on over 100 million listings.
Deals will be offered on jewelry, toys, electronics and kitchenware from brands like Samsung, Ninja and Apple. Further, the online retailer promises no blackout dates, even on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Under its Best Price Guarantee, eBay promises to return “110 percent of the price difference of eligible competitors’ prices.”
eBay’s Better than Black Friday deals
eBay has provided a day-by-day listing of its best Better than Black Friday deals:
- For Monday (today), eBay is offering a 32-inch Samsung Smart LED HD TV w/ Wi-Fi for $175, beating Target’s price of $179.
- For Tuesday, eBay will offer a white Xbox Wireless Controller for $34.99, beating Walmart’s price of $39.
- For Wednesday, it will sell a L.O.L. Surprise! Pearl Surprise Limited Edition doll for $28.88, beating Walmart’s price of $29.88.
- On Thursday, eBay will sell a Ninja Coffee Bar Bundle with Recipe Book for $82.99, beating Target’s price of $99.99.
- On Friday, eBay will sell the UGG Bailey Button Boots for $115.99, beating Macy’s UGG Naveah boots, priced at $127.50.
- On Saturday, eBay will be selling the Nest Thermostat E for $119.99, beating Target’s price of $139.
- On Sunday, eBay will sell a pair of 10K Diamond Studs for $349.99, beating JCPenney’s price of $599.
In addition to these deals, eBay has also listed “must-shop” holiday tech deals. These include:
- Apple AirPods at $149, compared to Target’s price of $159.99
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 for the PS4 at $43.99, compared to Target’s $45
- NBA 2K19 for $26.99, compared to Target’s $29.99
- Invicta Pro Diver Watch for $74.99, compared to JCPenney’s $85
- Samsonite Fiero Luggage for $74.99, compared to Kohl’s 94.99
- KitchenAid 5 Qt Artisan Stand Mixer for $224.99, compared to Target’s $227.99
Be a smart buyer
eBay’s Better than Black Friday deals are surely attractive, but some of them are not the best available. Thus, you must not trust them blindly, so do some research to find the best price. As pointed out by 9to5toys, although eBay is advertising the Nest Thermostat E at $120, which is $19 less than what Target is offering it for, Dell’s Thanksgiving Week plans reveal a price as low as $99. Another example is Apple’s AirPods, which eBay is offering for $149, beating Target’s price of $159.99. However, one can easily find the AirPods for about $145 on Amazon.
Although some of eBay’s deals might not be the best, one deal that will surely attract many buyers is the massive discount on the Galaxy Note 9. One retailer on eBay is selling this premium handset for just $710. The list price of the handset is $1,000, which means a flat discount of $290. Although other retailers are also offering big discounts on the Note 9, they come with limitations, like carrier contracts and more. Even Samsung is offering gifts worth about $300 on the purchase of a Note 9, but free money or a flat discount is always more attractive.
There are still a few limitations with the eBay handset. This offer does not come with a valid U.S. warranty. Additionally, these brand-new factory-unlocked devices only support GSM networks like AT&T and T-Mobile. Despite these limitations, it is still a good buy. The eBay seller has an impressive 98.9% positive feedback score, and over 700 units have already been sold.