The internet is a cosmic wonderland of inestimable information on a multitude of subjects. You can immerse yourself in the cultures of others by getting to know people from across the world, learn about the great accomplishments in history, or explore the confines tested by science, medicine, or engineering. However, in all probability we know that you will be searching for that hot guy/girl from so and so movie. That is right. It is no secret how addicted we humans are to watching TV shows and movies. Through the combined efforts of producers, directors, actors, videographers, and editors, we have oodles of splendid content available for entertainment that is just too hard to resist watching. The only problem: large portions of this content stays inaccessible, due to limited availability and geo-restrictions across popular streaming platforms, like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, etc. This is where services like Popcorn Time and Kodi come in, giving you access to a wide variety of watchable content, FREE OF CHARGE!
While there may be followers plighting their fidelities to either of the two platforms, others may find themselves contemplating, “what’s the harm in using both?” Then there are people like us, who want to figure out the better option. That is what this article is about: determining which platform offers the better cinematic experience. Are you ready? Let us get started!
Welcome to our latest issue of issue of ValueWalk’s hedge fund update. Below subscribers can find an excerpt in text and the full issue in PDF format. Please send us your feedback! Featuring Andurand's oil trading profits surge, Bridgewater profits from credit, and Tiger Cub Hedge Fund shuts down. Q1 2022 hedge fund letters, conferences Read More
Developed by the XBMC Foundation and released in 2004, Kodi is an open-source media player that allows users to enjoy all sorts of streaming media, which includes videos, podcasts, music, movies, and TV shows. By giving users the ability to stream all sorts of content from the internet, Kodi turns any tablet, smartphone, computer, or laptop into a digital set-top box.
Over the years, the platform has gained lots of popularity, constantly introducing new add-ons and functionalities. It is the top choice for users, who want to gain access to geo-restricted content. Most importantly, the software can allow users to enjoy premium content on a variety of services, which include YouTube, Spotify, Rhapsody, Crackle, Instant Video, and Amazon Prime.
How Does It Work?
The software is designed to run on all platforms/devices and home servers connected to larger TVs. It brings you entertainment at the click of a button through official and third-party applications, which give you access to unlimited content. Since Kodi has no limitations imposed by a curated app store or licensing, you can easily download a range of community-made extensions. These allow users to listen to their favorite podcasts and watch their favorite movies, TV shows, and live channels at the push of a button.
Best part of all: Kodi uses a purpose-built user interface. This makes browsing through your content incredibly simple and straightforward. The software also features a “10-foot UI”, which means it has the capability of being read from a distance of up to 10ft. Thanks to a range of built-in codes, users can also receive updates on weather forecasts, cinema guides, movie-trailer browsers, and internet-TV, while also enjoying P2P/Torrenting.
Why Should You Use Kodi?
- Works on Multiple Platforms/Devices – During its initial years, Kodi was only available on Xbox. Things have changed quite a lot since then. Now Kodi is compatible with a multitude of devices/platforms/OS. You can install the software on Windows, Mac, Linus, and even on iOS and Android devices. All you have to do is download the relevant client from the website and begin the installation process!
- A Huge Library of Content – Third-party extensions/add-ons of Kodi include massive libraries that can allow users to enjoy their favorite content. From the latest movies, hit TV shows, timeless classics, to fun podcasts, and entire collections of music, users can leverage a huge diversity in content available, without visiting torrent sites or indulging in risky downloading activities. Everything you want to watch will be available at the touch of a button on Kodi.
- Enjoy Fast Streaming – A major reason behind the popularity of Kodi is its ability of grabbing audio/video from highly responsive sources. You can enjoy instant streaming, which rids the need of downloading files before watching them. All you have to do is install the relevant repository and add-on, search for the TV show/movie you want to watch, and Kodi will provide you the fastest streams for an uninterrupted cinematic experience.
- Ability to Watch Live TV – One of the best things about Kodi is that it allows users to watch live television, without paying loads of cash in subscriptions! There are many third-party applications, which can offer unrestricted access to TV channels from around the world. Whether its news, sports, or product displays, you have tons of live TV choices. This literally backs the fact that Kodi transforms your device into a digital set-top box!
- Play Modern and Retro Games – Everyone uses Kodi as a media center application, but very few people know that the platform even offers the ability play modern and retro games! Many third-party add-ons allow you to enjoy executables that reside on your PC, along with games that are native to Kodi entirely. Some of the best Kodi gaming add-ons include Big Box, Free ROMs Downloader, Advanced Launcher, and ROM Collection Browser.
Initially released in March 2014, Popcorn Time is a multi-platform, open-source BitTorrent software application with an attractive and stylish media player. It takes its inspiration from Netflix, boasting a neat and clean outlook with attractive thumbnails. The platform uses sequential uploading and downloading to play films, which allows you to stream movies/TV shows instantly.
It is the perfect solution for users, who are tired of torrenting and need a safer alternative. The software not only streams content, but also downloads the file at the back-end. Best part of all: you also have the ability of filtering search results based on genre and other factors like name, year, updated, and popularity. Users can even select the quality of stream, a feature that Kodi cannot offer!
How Does It Work Exactly?
As you can see above, the main screen is dominated by the most popular blockbusters and recently released flicks. The options change daily, but you can even search the library for top-notch high-quality movies and TV series. All these features combined with great torrenting capabilities has made Popcorn Time quite a hit in the entertainment industry, with many joining forces to push it off the road. However, since the program is open-source, it keeps making its way back on the internet again.
Why Should You Use Popcorn Time?
- Beautiful Software Design – In addition to being to your go-to application for watching your favorite movies/TV shows freely, Popcorn Time boasts an amazingly neat and modish design. The developers of the software have worked incredibly hard in creating a chic and elegant outlook, which displays movies in the form of thumbnails grids, while also showing details of each file/series/episode with star ratings, trailers, and synopses.
- No Cheap Advertising and Spamming – Popcorn Time is by far the only software that rigorously avoids using cheap spamming and advertising. This creates a very streamlined appearance and user-friendly interface, which allows users to enjoy an uninterrupted cinematic experience. It is because of this remarkable trait that many users do not believe Popcorn Time to be an illegal software. Other software applications can definitely take some pointers from the platform!
- Downloading Actual Files – One of the main reasons to use Popcorn Time is that it not only provides streams torrents, but downloads the file to your hard drive too. Streaming/downloading works simultaneously, allowing you to access the file offline at any time. You can also carry the file around and move/copy it to other devices/drives. For your convenience, Popcorn Time even offers the ability of pausing or stopping downloads/streams.
- Multiple Device Support – During its initial years, Popcorn Time was only available on Windows OS. However, as its reputation began to grow, the developers have worked on introducing applications for different platforms/devices. You can easily download and install the Popcorn Time app for Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS too. This ensures that you can take entertainment with you wherever you go, regardless of the device/OS you use!
- Built-In VPN Service – When compared to Kodi that requires you to subscribe to a VPN service separately, Popcorn Time comes equipped with its own VPN product. Since you are using a built-on feature, the level of security you receive is much higher. This ensures your streaming/torrenting activity remains untraceable to governmental agencies and local ISPs. There are two payment options available: monthly and annual. The former is priced at $12 per month, and later at $69 yearly.
After carefully testing and analyzing both: Popcorn Time and Kodi, I first concluded that it is an evenly poised contest! However, based on convenience and instant streaming, Popcorn Time definitely manages to take away the cake. Installing add-ons on Kodi can somewhat be a frustrating task, especially if the repositories shutdown. Conversely, watching movies/TV shows on Popcorn Time is as simple as clicking the “watch” button. Which entertainment platform do you think is better? Share in the comments below!
Hamza Shahid’s Biography:
Hamza Shahid is a tech-geek, who adores creativity and innovation. When he is not watching TV shows/movies and stuffing munchies, he loves sharing his expert knowledge regarding the latest trends in user privacy and copyright infringement. Apart from writing blogs/articles on cyber laws and political affairs, Hamza takes keen interest in writing detailed VPN reviews. On the sidelines, he is an avid car-enthusiast and music-addict. Nothing can beat his love for muscle cars and EDM.