U.S. M&A deal activity slightly decreased in May, down 0.7% with 833 announcements compared to 839 in April. Aggregate M&A spending, on the other hand increased. In May, 10.0% more was spent on deals compared to April.
Over the past three months, the sectors that have seen the biggest increases in M&A deal activity, relative to the same three-month period one year ago, have been: Distribution Services (161 vs. 146), Utilities (72 vs. 63), Consumer Durables (46 vs. 44), Transportation (59 vs. 57), and Energy Minerals (43 vs. 42). Six of the 21 sectors tracked by FactSet Mergerstat posted relative gains in deal flow over the last three months compared to the same three months one year prior.
|Sector By activity|
|Target Sector||L3M 5/31/17 Deal Count||L3M 5/31/16 Deal Count||Difference|
Over the past three months, the sectors that have seen the biggest declines in M&A deal volume, relative to the same three-month period one year ago have been: Commercial Services (370 vs. 474), Health Services (117 vs. 183), Health Technology (86 vs. 130), Producer Manufacturing (151 vs. 179), and Communications (26 vs. 52). Fifteen of the 21 sectors tracked by FactSet Mergerstat posted negative relative losses in deal flow over the last three months compared to the same three months one year prior, for a combined loss of 434 deals.
Topping the list of the largest deals announced in May are:
- Clariant AG entering an agreement to acquire Huntsman Corp. for $6.6 billion
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. agreeing to acquire Patheon NV for $5.1 billion
- INC Research Holdings, Inc.'s deal to acquire InVentiv Group Holdings, Inc. for $4.6 billion
- Avantor Performance Materials, Inc. agreeing to acquire VWR Corp. for $4.4 billion
- Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.'s agreement to acquire Tribune Media Co. for $3.8 billion
FactSet Flashwire Monthly Report
Download the full report for more. including:
- Key trend information for the Overall and Middle M&A Markets, such as deal volume, deal value, mega-deals, leading buyers, leading industries, leading sectors, cross-border deals, US regional deals, average P/E, average premiums, payment methods, and much more
- Industry reports on the Internet, Telecommunications, Healthcare, Banking, and much more
- Special reports on technology, the public and private M&A markets, cancellation fees, industry activity, etc.
- Leading financial and legal advisor rankings
Article By FactSet