Netflix updated its iOS and Android apps with a highly anticipated new feature on Nov. 30. You can now download Netflix movies and TV shows and view them offline. Here’s some more information on this interesting new feature, plus a tutorial on how to use it.
Download Netflix movies and TV shows… with some limitations
At last, the offline viewing option is here, and after pessimistic rumors had cast doubt on it ever seeing the light of day, we’re pleased to say we didn’t doubt Netflix’s ability to deliver at all. However, there are some limitations to this new feature, which some critics have already lambasted Netflix for. One such limitation is the platform it’s available on. Right now it’s mobile only, but assuming you have either an Android handset, an iPhone or compatible tablet, this should not be a problem.
Additionally, offline viewing is not available for every show and film on Netflix, but there are a lot of choices, including movies like The Fast and The Furious, No Country for Old Men, Jaws, Kung Fu Panda 3, and Hot Fuzz. Also there are TV shows such as The Office, Orange is the New Black, 30 Rock, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad.
It’s pretty easy to download Netflix movies and TV shows. The new feature also includes the ability to adjust video quality settings in addition to downloading content.
How to download Netflix movies and TV shows
Before we begin the tutorial, you should go to either Google Play or the Apple App Store and update the Netflix app. Both app stores will immediately inform you of whether you have the latest version or not.
Here we go…
- When you have finished updating the app, launch Netflix and log in.
- Once logged in, you will see the above image with Download & Go on it. Looking down the page, you will see Find Something to Download. Tapping it will enable you to download Netflix movies or TV shows via the library of available content.
- Now that you have a selection of movies and TV shows in front of you Tapping One will reveal a new button. This is the download button; it should be a highlighted arrow pointing downwards. Right now it is highlighted because this is the first time you’ve used this feature. Tapping the Download Netflix Movies or TV Shows button will start the download process.
- When the download is complete, you can access your downloaded content at any time, whether online or offline. To do so, go to the Netflix in App Menu.
- In the menu, scroll down to My Downloads. Tapping this option will show you what you have ready for viewing.
- Finally, click a link will also be visible; clicking it will take you to all the available offline content Netflix has.
And that’s it; you now know how to download Netflix movies and TV shows using the latest version of the mobile app. We hope you enjoy what Netflix has to offer; however, if you have any questions. Please feel free to ask them in the comment section below.