There are lots of game emulators available to iOS 10 device users. However, many resort to installing different emulators for every platform. Fortunately, there is a way for a single emulator to be side-loaded onto an iOS 10 device. The Provenance emulator removes the need for a jailbreak and multiple emulators, meaning that it’s a one-stop legacy gaming platform.
Retro gaming on iOS 10, no jailbreak required
Provenance supports multiple legacy platforms for those using an iPhone or iPad running iOS 10. It will provide you with emulations of SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis, the Master System, Mega-CD, and Game Gear. Additionally, there’s support for Nintendo platforms, such as the Game Boy Advance, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, NES, and SNES.
So if you prefer to play games from a bygone era, including those from your childhood, you can do so on your iPhone or iPad without resorting to jailbreaking. Provenance is the app you have been looking for; all you have to do is follow the instructions below.
Before we start
Certain pieces of software used to install the Provenance app on your iOS 10 device require a Mac to work. Unfortunately, a Windows computer is not compatible with this tutorial because it would require a Mac emulator to be installed.
- Apple’s Xcode needs to be installed on your Mac; you can get it from the Mac App Store.
- Your Apple device should be running iOS 10.
- Next, you have two choices. One is to have a paid developer account, which will enable the app to keep working for 12 months. However, for the purpose of this tutorial, we are using a free developer account, which means you will have to repeat this process every seven days.
How to install Provenance on your iOS 10 device
Please read all of the instructions thoroughly and do not proceed until you understand what is required.
- Go to the FilePup website and click the green download button.
- Next, you need the latest version of Cydia Impactor for Mac. You can get it here.
- Connect your iOS 10 device to your Mac. As soon as you do, Cydia Impactor should recognize it and display related information.
- Now go to the Apple ID website and log in.
- Look for APP-SPECIFIC PASSWORDS, and then click Generate Password.
- Back on your Mac, go to your Desktop and drag then drop the IPA file to Cydia Impactor.
- Once you drop the file, you will be asked for your Apple ID. Simply enter the email and password generated in step 4.
- Now be patient while Cydia Impactor side-loads the Provenance app onto your iOS 10 device.
- You will now be able to see the Provenance app icon on your Home screen. DO NOT OPEN IT YET; if you do, you will see a developer error message.
- Instead, go to Settings–> General –> Profiles. Once there, you will see the Provenance app; tap it, and trust it. You will now be able to use the emulator.
Now that you have the app, remember that every seven days, you will have to follow this tutorial again. Now that you’ve already done so, the second time and so on should be easier; just make sure you follow each step closely.
And that’s it; we hope you enjoy the selection of games that are now available to you on iOS 10.