Protests In Baltimore At Beginning Of Freddie Gray Death Hearing

As the pre-trial hearing of 6 police officers charged with killing Freddie Gray gets underway, protesters took to the streets of Baltimore.

Police officers moved to break up the group of demonstrators, who had blocked a busy street in the city, according to RT. Police forced the protesters to leave Pratt Street, but not before community activist Kwame Rose was allegedly struck by a vehicle.

Protests In Baltimore At Beginning Of Freddie Gray Death Hearing

Community activist arrested after being struck by car

In the aftermath of the incident, Rose was arrested, handcuffed and put in a police van. Earlier in the day activists staged another protest on the sidewalk in front of the courthouse, where the hearing was due to take place. That protest passed without incident.

However the blockade of Pratt Street provoked a different response from authorities. Police took to a helicopter to announce that the blockade was illegal and would be dispersed, before officers appeared to remove protesters from the busy thoroughfare.



Small group of protesters removed from street by police officers

Baltimore police later removed Rose from the police van as an ambulance arrived to treat him for his injuries. Photos from the area show a line of police officers moving towards the protesters on Pratt Street, which is located in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor.

Accounts of the incident vary. A local reporter says that Rose claims he was hit by a car and attacked by the police, but another local source cites a witness who says Rose ran into the path of a moving vehicle.

According to a statement released by Baltimore Police, only one person was arrested and no Taser was used. “Most protesters are cooperating and not blocking roadways,” continued the statement.

Lawyers for the six officers accused of causing the death of Freddie Gray in April have filed motions to dismiss all charges. They also petitioned for the removal of prosecutor Marilyn Mosby due to apparent conflicts of interest.

Motions were also filed to move proceedings to a courthouse outside of Baltimore, and treat each officer in a separate case.