Roy Niederhoffer: How To Overcome Cognitive Bias In Investing And Trading by Top Traders Unplugged
H/T Abnormal Returns
“We are as humans essentially products of our hardware – that is an insight that I’ve taken with me into the trading side.” – Roy Niederhoffer (Tweet)
Roy Niederhoffer has a fascinating live story that starts with Harvard and neuroscience and continues into his starting a hedge fund in the short-term trading space in 1993. Roy discusses the exciting and bootstrapping beginnings of his firm, the cognitive biases that keep most humans from making good investment decisions, and how his firm stands out from other CTAs. Investors and managers alike will learn a wealth of information from this episode.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- How Roy got interested in the financial markets from an interest in computers at a young age.
- How he started a company that had 30 employees by the end of his high school.
- How his brother was an early adopter in the Hedge Fund space.
- How he spent his undergraduate years studying neuroscience.
- Roy graduated from Harvard and was set to go to Cambridge for neuroscience until he worked for his brother for a summer.
See the transcript here.