Sony Sells 250K PS4 Devices Within 48 Hours in UK

Sony Sells 250K PS4 Devices Within 48 Hours in UK
christianladewig0 / Pixabay

Sony Corporation (NYSE:SNE) sold over 250,000 of its latest Playstations in just 48 hours in the United Kingdom, according to trade magazine MCV. The Japanese company earned revenue of £87 million from these sales, claims the magazine.

Play Quizzes 4

Last week, Sony unveiled the PS4 in Europe and the UK, two weeks after it launched the latest console in the United States, where it sold more than one million units within 24 hours of launch.

How A Weakening PE Market Serves As Another Sign Of A Weakening Economy

InvestAmid the turmoil in the public markets and the staggering macroeconomic environment, it should come as no surprise that the private markets are also struggling. In fact, there are some important links between private equity and the current economic environment. A closer look at PE reveals that the industry often serves as a leading indicator Read More

PS4 broke its own record

Last week, the same magazine reported that Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT) sold 150,000 Xbox Ones in the UK within first 48 hours. There has been no word from Sony Corporation (NYSE:SNE) and Microsoft on sales figure.

Titles like Call of Duty: Ghosts, and Track retained their top position in the top UK video games retail sales chart while FIFA 14 slipped to second place. Every game in All Formats’ Top 10 is compatible with the PS4.

The PS4 broke the record of the original PSP, according to chart track. The total number of PSPs sold in the UK was 185,000 units in 2005. Xbox and PS4 outperformed sales of Nintendo Wii U, which was launched last year.

Sony committed to game makers

Andrew House, President and Group CEO at Sony, termed the sales as “an impressive and record-setting accomplishment for our company and for our industry.” House said that the company will keep on adding new features and services to the PS4 as time goes on.

“We believe that video games represent the pinnacle of artistry and entertainment, and we will work tirelessly to make sure that PlayStation remains the best place to play.”

Sony Corporation (NYSE:SNE) has dominated the gaming console turf for long, but there are retailers who are putting their faith in Microsoft’s Xbox. For instance, Jonathan Marsh, head technology buyer at John Lewis said that the Xbox will appeal slightly more to customers, in terms of the experience it creates.

Overall, Xbox ahead of PS4

According to Data analyst InfoScout, Xbox outpaced other gaming consoles during last week’s Black Friday sale in the United States, accounting for 31% of the total hardware sales. Microsoft Xbox 360 accounted for 30% of sales giving the software giant a 61% share of Black Friday hardware sales.

PlayStation 3 and PS4 accounted for 15% of sales, and overall Sony Corporation (NYSE:SNE) could garner only 30% of the share. The Wii U took 7% and the original Wii 1%, giving Nintendo an 8% share.

Updated on

Aman is MBA (Finance) with an experience on both Marketing and Finance side. He has worked as a Risk Analyst for AIR Worldwide, and is currently leading VeRa FinServ, a Financial Research firm. Favorite pastimes include watching science fiction movies, reviewing tech gadgets, playing PC games and cricket. - Email him at
Previous article Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Headed Toward $580 In Mid-term?
Next article Emerging Markets Could Witness Interest From PE On Microlending

No posts to display