Fairholme Capital Management (“Fairholme”) today announced that it has submitted a proposal to relevant federal government officials for the purchase by private investors of the mortgage-backed securities insurance businesses of Fannie Mae / Federal National Mortgage Association (OTCBB:FNMA) and Freddie Mac / Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corp (OTCBB:FMCC).
The proposal answers the bipartisan call for significantly more private capital in the mortgage market, and is intended to facilitate legislative reform of any political stripe. In particular, the proposal:
Half Moon Capital Returns 12.2% In 2020 Despite Short Position Drag
Eric DeLamarter's Half Moon Capital produced a return of 8% net of fees in the fourth quarter of 2020, bringing the full-year return to 12.2%, according to a copy of its fourth-quarter letter, which ValueWalk has been able to review. The fund maintained an average net exposure of 45% during the period. Q4 2020 hedge Read More
- Brings approximately $52 billion of private capital to support credit risk on more than $1 trillion of new mortgages without market disruption;
- Demonstrates reform is possible, even without a Federal guarantee, by having investors commit to bear risk now;
- Allows for the liquidation of Fannie Mae / Federal National Mortgage Association (OTCBB:FNMA) and Freddie Mac / Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corp (OTCBB:FMCC), ending their Federal charters and special status, without losing the value of operating assets critical to the mortgage market;
- Reduces systemic risk by separating new underwriting from the legacy investment books of Fannie and Freddie;
- Preserves Government options for affordable housing initiatives and counter-cyclical liquidity – but using tools other than Fannie and Freddie; and
- Ends the unsustainable Federal conservatorship.
Fairholme Capital Bids For Fannie, Freddie Assets: Full Letter Full presentation below
FAIRHOLME+CAPITAL+MANAGEMENT+ANNOUNCES+PROPOSAL+FOR+PURCHASE+OF+INSURANCE+BUSINESSES+FROM+FANNIE+MAE+AND+FR… by ValueWalk.com