DR LEE SHAU KEE
G.B.M., D.B.A. (Hon.), D.S.Sc. (Hon.), L.L.D. (Hon.)
Hong Kong’s Warren Buffett
Net Worth: $18 B as of March 2012
Being in the top 20 of the Forbes’ billionaires record is no small achievement, and to be a real mogul to build up that wealth instead of simply inheriting it is just astonishing. Lee Shau Kee, the second wealthiest gentleman in Asia, is worth around $19 billion USD. He is CEO of Henderson Land Development Company and Hong Kong and China Gas Company Limited. He is nicknamed as the Warren Buffett of Hong Kong.
> Age: 84
> Source of Wealth: diversified, self-made
> Residence: Hong Kong
> Country of Citizenship: Hong Kong
> Marital Status: Divorced
LEE SHAU KEE has one Daughter, Margaret Lee and two sons: Peter Lee Ka-kit. and Martin Lee Ka-shing. He has four grandsons and two granddaughters. Three grandsons are: Lee Chi-shun (b.2010), Lee Chi-yan (b.2010) and Lee Chi-yung (b.2010). And name of the fourth one has not yet been so popular. His two granddaughters are: Leanna Lee Hei-tung, born 2007, Hayley Lee Hei-yi, born 2009.
> Founder, Chairman, Managing Director of Henderson Land Development Company Limited
> Chairman of Hong Kong and China Gas Company Limited
> Chairman of Miramar Hotel Group
> Vice Chairman Independent Non-Executive Director of Sun Hung Kai Properties Limited
> Member of Board of Directors of Hong Kong Ferry (Holdings) Limited and The Bank of East Asia Limited
1. Chinese University awarded Dr Lee with the honorary degree of Doctor of Social Science in 1993.
2. He made sizeable revenue in 2006 from Mainland-controlled stocks following which he was named the Warren Buffett of Hong Kong
3. He was honored with the highest award the ‘Grand Bauhinia Medal’ in 2007 for helping the people by Government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.
4. He is the second wealthiest person in Greater China Region and Hong Cong and the world’s 22th richest man whose net worth is $18.5 billion. (Forbes Magazine 2010)
Dr. Lee Shau Kee was born Jan. 29, 1928 in Shunde, Guangdong, China. After World War 2, Kee was looking to start up a business like many other people in Asia at the time. This is when he met up with a famous billionaire, Kwok Tak-Seng, and began putting the pieces in place for what would sooner or later become Sun Hung Kai Properties Limited.
Kee established him self in Hong Kong in his early times and has since been aggressively occupied in property expansion and other profitable businesses from the last 40 years. Lee is the founder of Henderson Land Development Company Limited and has been the Chairman and Managing Director of the Company since 1976.
1. Chairman and Managing Director of Henderson Investment Limited,
2. Chairman of Henderson Cyber Limited,
3. Executive Director of Henderson China Holdings Limited,
4. Chairman of the Hong Kong and China Gas Company Limited, Miramar Hotel and Investment Company Limited,
5. Vice-Chairman of Sun Hung Kai Properties Limited.
6. Kee also holds directorship of various companies, including Hong Kong Ferry (Holdings) Company Limited and the Bank of East Asia Limited.
Kee enjoys the status of Non-Executive Vice Chairman of the Board of Sun Hung Kai Properties Limited. Kee served as a Non-Executive Director of the Company for the last 39 years. He is the creator and chairman and managing director of Henderson Land Development Company Limited and Henderson Investment Limited.
He engaged himself in property expansion in Hong Kong for more than 58 years. He is also chairman of The Hong Kong and China Gas Company Limited and Miramar Hotel and Investment Company, Limited as well as a director of Hong Kong Ferry (Holdings) Company Limited and The Bank of East Asia, Limited. In July 2007, the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region awarded Kee the Grand Bauhinia Medal for his distinguished community service.
In Detail he is:
- Vice-Chairman, Sun Hung Kai Properties Limited
- Independent Non-Executive Director of the Bank of East Asia (China) Ltd.
- 1975-Present: Founder, Executive Chairman, Managing Director, Member of Remuneration Committee, Chairman of Henderson Land Development Company Ltd and Managing Director of Henderson Land Development Company Ltd, Henderson Investments Ltd.
- 1976-Present: Founder, Chairman, Managing Director, General Manager, Chairman of Nomination Committee and Member of Remuneration Committee Henderson Land Development Co. Ltd.
- 1978-Present: Chairman and Chairman of Remuneration Committee The Hong Kong and China Gas Company Limited
- 1981-Present:Non Executive Director, Chairman of Henderson Land Development and Managing Director of Henderson Land Development Hong Kong Ferry Holdings Co. Ltd.
- 1987-Present: Independent Non Executive Director and Member of Nomination Committee The Bank of East Asia, Limited
- 1993-Present: Chairman, Chairman of Nomination Committee and Member of Remuneration Committee, Miramar Hotel & Investment Co. Ltd.
- 1993-Present: Executive Director, Henderson China Holdings Ltd.
- 2000-Present: Executive Chairman, Chairman of Henderson Land Development Company Limited and Chairman of Henderson Investment Limited, Henderson Cyber Ltd.
1. The Bank of East Asia, Limited
2. The Hong Kong and China Gas Company Limited
3. Henderson Investments Ltd.
4. Sun Hung Kai Properties Limited
5. Miramar Hotel & Investment Co. Ltd.
6. Henderson China Holdings Ltd.
7. Henderson Cyber Ltd.
8. Hong Kong Ferry Holdings Co. Ltd.
9. Suntec City Development Private Ltd.
10. The Bank of East Asia (China) Ltd. (http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=757239&ticker=12:HK)
Kee has made incredible contributions towards the support of Hong Kong’s financial opulence. His keen support has also been there to many major didactic and enlightening development projects both in Hong Kong and out of the country. The Chinese University of Hong Kong benefited enormously from the support and back-up given by Kee over the years.
Kee is the Chairman of Pei Hua Education Foundation Company Limited, and the Honorary Councilor of Rehabilitation International. Since 1977, Kee has been a Member of the then Advisory Board of the Three-year MBA Program and a Member on the Board of Trustees of the United College since 1988.
In 1993, the Chinese University conferred him with the honorary degree of Doctor of Social Science. Kee granted to the Chinese University generous donations in support of a variety of human resources progress and scholarly research programs. In 1991, Kee made the most bighearted contribution to support the CUHK-Yale South China Studies Program that provided fellowships for doctoral students and finances for charming experienced researchers and lectureships, built up library collections and research resources, and financed study projects and educational conferences.
The research program has enabled unbeaten partnership among Yale University and the Chinese University, enhanced the understanding of South China by practitioners in a variety of professions and the money-making segment, thereby contributing towards the continued expansion of Hong Kong and South China. In 1993, Dr. Lee Shau Kee was awarded of the title of Honorary Doctor of Social Sciences at the Chinese University.
Sun Hung Kai Properties is a gigantic real estate developer on a great fraction of Asia. This led Kee to a lot of other ventures all the way through his life. Kee is the Vice Chairman Independent Non-Executive Director of SHKP. But his major calculating interests stretch out in the corporation he started fundamentally on his own that is Henderson Land Development. Kee founded this company and he has been the Chairman and Managing Director since 1976.
Henderson has interests in property expansion, speculation, building, hotel operation, economics, infrastructure, and a great deal extra. Amongst Henderson’s numerous advance projects, included are the International Finance Centre, the Grand Promenade and 39 Conduit Road. A not many years ago, Kee completed a huge shift in acquiring The Hong Kong and China Gas Company Limited (Towngas), of that he is now the president. Towngas supplies 85 percent of households in Hong Kong with utilities, and is concerned in shared ventures with Mainland China dealing in drinking water and waste dumping.
Kee’s calculated trade moves are made probable as of his insightful business intellect. Kee is well-known in the Hong Kong commerce world for advising investors appropriately, and even outrageously warning people not to invest in his own companies if he feels they will not earn sizable profit.
But Kee thinks life-size. In 1963, he founded Sung Hung Kai Properties. Ten years later, his activities gained scale; he decided to reorganize the real estate corporation into a group with numerous activities, which was the birth of Henderson Land Development Company.
The most talked about business move of Kee was to relocate possessions to his family from China to Hong Kong prior to the beginning of communism. In 1948, he arrived in Hong Kong and originally worked in imports and exports then managed to embark into the real estate market. He founded, with other investors from Hong Kong, Eternal Enterprise Company, a real estate agent which allowed him to conclude his first deals. The group in 1981 made its debut on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
** Kee in 1985 took control of the investment company Wing Tai, which turned into Henderson venture.
** The new Hong Kong tycoon in 1989 widened the field of action of the group by introduction of the chain stores Citistore.
** In 1992 he incorporated hotels into the group’s activities.
** He created Megastrength in 1995 that is a security services company.
The opulence of Kee accompanies the expansion of Hong Kong. He is a chief player in the regional financial system. His assemblage now owns the company Miramar Hotel & Investment Hotels. He is also a notable gas operator in Hong Kong & China Gas, as well as the ferry operator Hong Kong Ferry Company.
Kee, apart from a traditional financing enthusiast of Hong Kong, also chiefly invested in mines. H also worked in collaboration with Hong Kong Billaire, Cheng Yu-tung one of the foundation stone investors in the IPO of TSX-listed China Gold International Resources while it launched on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in late 2010. The plan of the listing was to lift finance for the aquitions of Skyland Mining Ltd, which included a copper excavation in Tibet.
About Henderson Investment Limited:
HIL’s turnover amounted to HK$299 million, representing a decrease of HK$18 million, or 6%, compared to HK$317 million for the previous year ended 31 December 2010. Such decrease in turnover is mainly attributable to the period-on-period decrease of approximately 25% in the average monthly traffic volume of the toll bridge in Hangzhou, which was HIL’s core asset, during the period from 1 July 2011 to 31 December 2011.
This was due to (i) accidental damage to one of the link bridges of the toll bridge on 15 July 2011 which resulted in the four lane two-way traffic being temporarily reduced to two lanes of two-way traffic in the affected area of the toll bridge until the toll bridge was fully open to traffic, effective from 1 October 2011; and (ii) the implementation by Hangzhou Municipal Government of certain new policies which control the traffic flow of vehicles during certain peak hours each day, effective from 8 October 2011.
LEE SHAU-KEE QUOTES
** “We are in turbulent times,”
** “Paper money will suffer”
** “We are in a time when paper investments are riskier than in the past. There is also a great amount of sovereign risk.”
** “Gold is a kind of mortar and offers a form of capital preservation; we’re still bullish about gold,”
** “There are some lights at the end of the tunnel. If political leaders in Europe can put things in order, things will be better. These days, much relies on politics.”
LEE SHAU-KEE IN NEWS
1. Think Mortar: Hong Kong Billionaire Lee Shau Kee on Where to Invest Today http://www.forbes.com/sites/russellflannery/2012/03/07/think-mortar-hong-kong-billionaire-lee-shau-kee-on-where-to-invest-today/
2.Dr Tse Tak-fu
3. Tang Vows to Tackle Wealth Gap in Bid to Revive Leadership Push http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-03-07/hong-kong-s-tang-says-all-scandals-out-in-public-ahead-of-leadership-vote
Tang’s Scandal Opens Way for Ip to Join Hong Kong Contest http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-02-21/tang-s-scandal-opens-way-for-ip-to-join-hong-kong-contest.html
6. Property Patriarch Retires
7. Putting the locals in the driving seat
8. Henry Tang Should Quit Hong Kong Leadership Race Over Scandal, Poll Shows
9. Tang, Leung Vow to Boost Hong Kong Land Supply in Leader Race
10. A tycoon’s guide to avoiding family feuds
11. Drinks tycoon sparkles on list of the world’s wealthy http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90778/7750150.html
12. Forbes Releases 2012 Rich List! Who Is At The Top With $69 BILLION?! http://perezhilton.com/2012-03-08-forbes-releases-2012-rich-list#.T2NmjsU83pA
13. Sex festival sees more as best for happy marriages http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?we_cat=4&art_id=120389&sid=35637687&con_type=1&d_str=20120306&fc=1
14. Ambani Backed by India Power Is Asia’s No.1 Billionaire http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-03-04/ambani-is-no-dot-1-billionaire-in-asia
15.India Duduki Posisi Orang Terkaya Asia
LEE SHAU KEE IN ARTICLES
1. Donald Tsang, Li Ka-shing, And Lee Shau-kee http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-05-20/markets/30016789_1_donald-tsang-share-hong-kong
2. Constitution of Lee Shau Kee Hall Students’ Association, HKUS http://www0.hku.hk/council/ConstitutionArchive/Hall/PDF/LSKHSA_Constitution_090311.pdf
3. Lee Shau Kee Biography
4. Lee Shau Kee
5. Lee Shau Kee
6. Words of Wisdom
7. Lee Shau-kee eyes new shares of China South City
8. Lee Shau-kee’s Triple Blessing
9. Lee Shau Kee
10. Chinese family businesses: Dusk for the patriarchs | The Economist http://www.economist.com/node/18070436
11. Wealth Tips From One Of Asia’s Richest Entrepreneurs: Lee Shau Kee http://www.forbes.com/sites/russellflannery/2011/11/14/wealth-tips-from-one-of-asias-richest-entrepreneurs-lee-shau-kee/
12. Henderson Land Development Company Ltd.
13. Still in Control, Hong Kong Property Tycoons Face a Younger Generation http://www.cnbc.com/id/44899567/Still_in_Control_Hong_Kong_Property_Tycoons_Face_a_Younger_Generation
14. Henderson Land Development Company Ltd. http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/history2/3/Henderson-Land-Development-Company-Ltd.html
15. Time Out Hong Kong – stories, interviews and guides about Hong Tycons http://www.google.com.pk/#q=Articles%3ALee+Shau-Kee&hl=en&prmd=imvns&ei=sYhhT-XwFdGxhAf8_fWCCA&start=40&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=8e8a12441a33ba7d&biw=1024&bih=667
LEE SHAU KEE IN VIDEOS
1. Lee Shau Kee Hall – Orientation Camp 2010
2. Lee Shau Kee Hall – Registration Day 2010
3. Lee Shau Kee Hall – Interhall Drama Competition 2010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRuLuOQJOsw
4. Lee Shau Kee Hall – Interhall Drama Competition 2010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlIILMU0sCQ
5. Lee Shau Kee Hall – Joint Hall Mass Dance 2011
6. Lee Shau Kee Hall, Promotional Video for Information Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrk-oRVUr2k
7. HKFYG Lee Shau Kee College–Leadership Training Tour to Australia Report-back session
8. HKFYG Lee Shau Kee College–Leadership Training Tour to Australia Report-back session P2
9. Lee Shau Kee Hall Roof
10. Hku joint hall mass dance 2010 – Lee Shau Kee Hall http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkKYbLCBNl4
11. Memories in LSK 05 – 06
12. Swire Hall Touch Camp 2011
13. Shau & Igor irmão sempre!
14. Pong Nan ??? singing Tori Amos’ “Silent All These Years” at his 3rd show of 88+1 Concert
15. The Artists behind the Electrode: Daito Manebe