The average price per gallon for all formulations of regular gasoline was $3.37 per gallon in September, the U.S. Energy Information Administration reports. That is a 24 cent decrease from August prices, and down 48 cents from a year ago.
Diesel fuel was $3.90 per gallon in September from $3.98 last month.
Prices per gallon of regular gas decreased in all U.S. regions in September. They declined the most in the Midwest region, falling 36 cents.
- East Coast: $3.36 from $3.61 last month.
- Midwest: $3.28 from $3.63 last month.
- Gulf Coast: $3.13 from $3.41 last month.
- Rocky Mountain: $3.51 from $3.63 last month.
- West Coast: $3.74 from $3.75 last month.
From a year ago, gas prices are down in all 5 U.S. regions. The Midwest prices have experienced the greatest change and are down 59 cents from September 2012.
Full table with changes: