Societe Generale Global Quantitative Research analyst Andrew Lapthorne provides us with an overview of the global equity markets. We take a look at the best and worst performers across selected parameters detailed in this report.
Global equity markets overview
(Figures in parenthesis indicate negative values)
Earlier this month, value investor Mohnish Pabrai took part in a Q&A session with William & Mary College students. Q3 2021 hedge fund letters, conferences and more Throughout the discussion, the hedge fund manager covered a range of topics, talking about his thoughts on valuation models, the key lessons every investor should know, and how Read More
|World Market||Absolute Performance % YTD||Japan 35.4%||Emerging Markets (4.5%)|
|Emerging Markets||Absolute Performance % YTD||EM Asia (1.5%)||EM Latin America (11.5%)|
|Global Sectors||Absolute Performance % YTD||Healthcare 23.3%||Basic Matls (9.9%)|
|Sectoral Performance YTD||Oil & Gas||BD 71.2%||KO (14.2%)|
|Sectoral Performance YTD||Basic Materials||JP 30.2%||CN (29.5%)|
|Sectoral Performance YTD||Industrials||JP 30.2%||RS (94.3%)|
|Sectoral Performance YTD||Consumer Goods||JP 41.6%||KO (4.3%)|
|Sectoral Performance YTD||Health Care||CN 89.4%||KO (15.8%)|
|Sectoral Performance YTD||Consumer Services||IT 40.3%||CH (24.6%)|
|Sectoral Performance YTD||Telecom||JP 60.9%||IT (8.4%)|
|Sectoral Performance YTD||Utilities||FR 37.1%||RS (40.6%)|
|Sectoral Performance YTD||Financials||JP 38.0%||IN (23.4%)|
|Sectoral Performance YTD||Technology||HK 52.3%||BR (10.4%)|
|Global PE Ratio Aggregates||2014e||BRIC 8.2||Pacific ex-Japan 13.6|
|Global Regional Earnings Growth||2014e||Europe ex. UK 16.1%||BRIC 8.1%|
|Global Regional Price/Book Value||2014e||BRIC 1.1||Europe 1.5|
|World Indices Correlation||MSCI World U$||S&P 500 Composite 0.97||TOPIX Mothers 0.32|
Notes for global equity markets:
1. World Market: In the table above Japan puts up the best YTD show of 35.4%, yet its performance over 3 months is the worst at (-0.6%) primarily because of the impact of the imposition of additional sales tax by the Japanese government.
2. Emerging Markets: Of the emerging market indices, the Brazilian Bovespa index was the worst off YTD (-13.3%) while the South African (FTSE/JSE All Shares) index performed the best (+11.9%).
3. Global Sectors: Basic Materials (-9.9%) was down chiefly because of the poor performance of sub-sectors Mining (-27.5%), and Industrial Metals & Mining (-12.5%).
4. Mining was down in CH (-34.8%), IN (-29.8%), CN (-41.3%) and US (-27.5%) YTD.
5. Metals and Mining was down in the UK (-46.2%), FR (-27.5%), IN (-22.4%) and CN (-18.3%) YTD.
6. Sectoral Performance YTD (Financials): The striking underperformance out of India straddles all its sub-sectors – the red ink here is way beyond that seen in any other country.