Users Are Complaining About iOS 12 Battery Drain Issue. Here’s How To Fix It

iOS 12 Battery Drain ProblemImage Source: Apple.com (screenshot)

The iOS 12 software became officially available to the general public on Monday, Sept.17th. Millions of people around the world (including me) installed the software on their iPhones and iPads on the very first day. Soon after updating, many of them began experiencing the iOS 12 battery drain problem. Maybe a bug or two slipped through the lengthy beta testing into the final build. Or perhaps that’s how things are with major software updates.

What might be causing the iOS 12 battery drain problem

Some iPhones and iPads appear to be losing power faster than they should after updating to the latest software. Immediately after you install the software, it starts organizing and re-indexing apps and data for quick Spotlight searching. It consumes a lot of processing power and battery. It could be one of the reasons you are experiencing the iOS 12 battery drain issue.

Another reason the battery on your device is draining faster than expected could be the Automatic App Updates in the App Store. If you had enabled it a long time ago, all sorts of apps would start updating to their latest versions after the iOS 12 update. Developers tend to push out updates after a major software rollout to ensure that their apps work with the new operating system.

Yet another reason could be that users tend to use their iPhones and iPads more frequently than usual after installing a new update to explore all the cool new features. If your device’s battery is draining rapidly due to any of these reasons, things should go back to normal within 24-48 hours as the background processes and app updates should be completed in that timeframe.

How to fix it

If you still don’t see an improvement in battery life, here’s how you can fix the iOS 12 battery drain issue:

1- Take care of the battery draining apps

You have dozens of apps installed on your iOS device. Some of them such as Facebook, Pokemon Go or PUBG might be using the most power. You can check the most battery draining apps by going to Settings > Battery. Now that you know which apps are sapping most of the battery, you can uninstall them, look for alternatives, or limit their ability to refresh in the background. To restrict background app refresh, go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and toggle off those apps.

2- Restart the device

This is one of the first things you should do if you experience the iOS 12 battery drain issue. Power down your device, wait for 30 seconds to one minute and then turn it back on. Check if the battery performance has improved now.

3- Turn on Low Power Mode

The Low Power Mode in iOS 12 could help prolong the battery life of your device. Generally, the iPhones and iPads prompt users to turn on the Low Power Mode when the battery reaches 20%. But you can turn it on anytime you want. My iPhone SE’s battery life isn’t that great, so I have added the Low Power Mode to Control Center, and keep it turned on more than 80% of the time. It shuts down services and apps running in the background that drain the battery.

You can turn it on by going to Settings > Battery > Low Power Mode and toggle it on. If you want to add Low Power Mode to Control Center, go to Settings > Control Center > Customize Controls and then tap on the ‘+’  sign next to Low Power Mode. It will now show as a battery icon in the Control Center.

4- Disable location services for certain apps

Location services are pretty useful. But you might have unknowingly turned on location services for apps that you rarely use. Turn off their access to your iPhone or iPad’s location. Head over to Settings > Privacy > Location Services to see which apps have access to your device’s location, and toggle it off for apps that don’t need to know your location at all times.

5- Make display & brightness adjustments

The display itself consumes a lot of battery power. If the brightness is higher than it should be, you can turn off the Auto-Brightness and adjust it manually. Disable it by going to Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Auto Brightness.

You could also turn off the Raise to Wake feature to boost your iPhone or iPad’s battery life. The feature brings alive the display when you move the device from a stationary position. Disable it from Settings > Display & Brightness > Raise to Wake.

6- Disable iCloud Keychain

The iCloud Keychain shouldn’t have much impact on the battery life. However, users have reported in the past that turning off iCloud Keychain and then turning it on instantly has resolved battery problems on older iOS versions. If none of the above tricks work, you should give it a try. Go to Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Keychain then toggle it off and on.

If the iOS 12 battery drain issue is due to a bug, we should expect Apple to push out a software update soon fixing the issue.

For exclusive info on hedge funds and the latest news from value investing world at only a few dollars a month check out ValueWalk Premium right here.

Multiple people interested? Check out our new corporate plan right here (We are currently offering a major discount)

About the Author

Vikas Shukla
Vikas Shukla has a strong interest in business, finance, and technology. He writes regularly on these topics. - He can be contacted by email at vshukla@valuewalk.com or on Twitter @VikShukla10

19 Comments on "Users Are Complaining About iOS 12 Battery Drain Issue. Here’s How To Fix It"

1. WhiteStreak WARRIOR_CATS_FAN | Sep 25, 2019, 1:33 pm at 1:33 pm |

thanks

2. WhiteStreak WARRIOR_CATS_FAN | Sep 25, 2019, 1:33 pm at 1:33 pm |

thanks1

3. I am 100% sure it’s a virus send by apple so that people start purchasing their pathetic new expensive phone. Because they got low sale, tim cook started sending viruses. Last year they send a virus to slow down and now send it again to drain the battery quickly. Tim cook wakeup and stop insulting and degrading your customer by sending viruses. You better step down and give the seat of CEO to a eligible person. Other vise you will destroy the company of steve job.

4. My iPad was actually losing power when plugged in to a 5W charger and sleeping. I’d take it out of my bag where is had been for hours sleeping and it was hot. It would not last more than half a day.
    I’ve now turned off screen time and it’s increase charge from about 25% to 45% in an hour ona 5W charger. Definitely a 12.1 bug.

5. it went from 74 to 55% in 20mins. :l

6. not working for me. :l

7. it’s of no use for me. :(

8. Ayu Haniza Julaihi | Nov 25, 2018, 5:51 am at 5:51 am |

is it really work ? my problem is same as yours. i was facing this battery draining problem these few days.

9. WhiteStreak WARRIOR_CATS_FAN | Nov 22, 2018, 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |

thank u thank u !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    @cmiller415:disqus :- ]

10. WhiteStreak WARRIOR_CATS_FAN | Nov 22, 2018, 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |

okay Thanks……Lol

11. WhiteStreak WARRIOR_CATS_FAN | Nov 22, 2018, 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |

@cmiller415:disqus Okay thanks!! what is screen time for??
    i hope it helps……L0L

12. Turn off “screen time”.

13. Its “Screen Time” turn it off and I bet it’ll solve your problem.

14. I figured out what was draining my battery. It’s Screen Time that’s the problem!
    Before I turned it off my battery was literally draining before my eyes. In 4 minutes it went from 12% to 1%, once I turned Screen Time off my battery life went back to normal.
    Go to:
    Tap Settings
    Tap Screen Time
    Scroll down to “Turn off Screen Time” & Turn.It.Off.

15. WhiteStreak WARRIOR_CATS_FAN | Nov 19, 2018, 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |

same i swear it has a bug
    apple
    needs 2 fix it
    or im going to switch over to android L0L
    ur right IOS 11 is much better- even better then ios 12…

16. WhiteStreak WARRIOR_CATS_FAN | Nov 19, 2018, 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |

IOS 12 ****** up…. It drained half my battery (100%-44%) while updating
    plus- i cant even play any games on it or use apps
    you use it for like lets say, 5-10 mins the battery drains to [100%~ 50%~ then about 2 secods later its [20%] apple needs to fix this update (ios 11 was much better)

17. WhiteStreak WARRIOR_CATS_FAN | Nov 19, 2018, 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |

@kelly your actually right i have this music app, i barely use it says it drained 41.9% or less (vice versa) and this is on IOS 12?? because ios 11 was better.
    if u think IOS 11 is great like this reply
    if u think IOS 12 is dislike this reply [YAH] or [NAH]

18. Yep, I’m having the same issue. My iPad 2017 drains battery much faster than before after I upgraded my system.

When on IOS 11, it drains no battery at night as long as I didn’t use it, now it uses up to 4% battery on the same condition.

When active, its battery lasts shorter, with a 10% decrease.

It’s been 4 days after the upgrade, and I don’t turn on background app-upgrading.

19. Wow, another apple apologist. Remember “you’re holding it wrong?”
    Updated to 12 three days ago. Same apps, and plenty of time to “reorganize” my data. Today, my iPad is losing about 3.5% of battery per hour. This isn’t me running background apps, and the iPad is inactive with the exception of me checking battery every 2 or 3 hours.

The only oddity is that I have a cellular iPad with all data turned off and the sim removed. In the status bar theres an animated icon that shows no cellular, but the iOS “could” still be scanning for a connection. Even this isn’t my fault as there should be an effective way to turn off that particular radio.