We have been through several updates of the iOS 11 beta program and, finally, iOS 11 GM (Golden Master) is ready to be revealed to the public. The Golden Master version of iOS 11 is the stable version that Apple feels is ready for public consumption. Until now, only tech geeks that wanted to install and download iOS 11 through the beta program could experience the new features (and bugs). As of September 19th, everyone with a compatible iOS device will have iOS 11 pushed out OTA to their device.
Of course, if you are ready to experience iOS 11 now in all it’s glory, you don’t have to wait. You can install and download iOS 11 GM without having to wait until September 19th. Best of all, the process is really easy. All you have to do is join the beta program! If you are already a part of the iOS 11 beta program then you are probably already cruising along on the Golden Master version. If you still need to join, here’s how:
Install And Download iOS 11 GM: How To
If you want to install and download iOS 11 GM there are two methods. Either one will work. I will outline both for you. This is how to install the developer profile on your iOS device which enables you to receive the iOS 11 GM update OTA:
- Open Safari on your device and navigate to this link.
- Tap on the link which reflects which device you own if your browser does not automatically redirect you.
- Tap “Install” when prompted. You may be asked several times. Just keep pressing “Install.”
- You will then be asked to reboot your device.
- After rebooting, go to the “Settings” app, then tap “General” and then tap “Software Update.” You should see iOS 11 developer beta as a download option. Install and download iOS 11 GM just like any other iOS update.
Public Beta Program
This is the more official way of doing things. Again, it really doesn’t make any difference when you want to install and download iOS 11 GM. I just thought it might be handy for you to have both options at your fingertips:
- You will need to be on the latest version of iOS. Update through the settings app if you haven’t already.
- Register with the Apple Software Beta Program here.
- Once you are registered, using the same link above, click “Log In.”
- Accept the terms and conditions. Read them if you really want to.
- On the device that you want to register for the beta program, visit www.beta.apple.com/profile
- Sign in and then tap “Download Profile.”
- When prompted, tap “Install.”
- You’ll see a consent form. Tap “Install” again.
- Restart your device when prompted to install the profile.
- After restarting, you will be able to install and download iOS 11 GM. Go to the “Settings” app, tap “General” and then tap “Software Update.”
See how easy it is? Usually this is the part of the article where I warn people about bugs. However, the Golden Master version of iOS 11 is pretty much what is going to be sent out to the masses on September 19th. Apple has clearly determined that the software is ready for a full public launch. Most major bugs will be taken care of by now.
Of course, before any major update, you will want to back up your device just in case anything goes sideways. Otherwise, you now know everything you need to know in order to install and download iOS 11 GM! Will you make the jump now or wait for September 19th?