DoubleLine Shiller Enhanced CAPE Strategy
What is Double Value?
- The DoubleLine Shiller Enhanced CAPE Strategy creates “Double Value” for investors when combining two unique sources of value:
- The Shiller Barclays CAPE® U.S. Sector Index attempts to shift portfolio exposures to the “cheapest” sectors of the large cap equity markets
- DoubleLine’s Fixed Income strategy strives to shift its exposures to the “cheapest” sectors of the fixed income markets.
- Both strategies attempt to offer a value play in their respective markets, and when combined investors have the potential to receive “Double Value.”
DoubleLine Shiller CAPE Structure
- The distinct structure of the DoubleLine Shiller Enhanced CAPE® Strategy allows investors to simultaneously access returns of the equity markets and fixed income markets. By using an equity index swap, $1 invested in the strategy provides approximately $1 of exposure to each market.
What is the CAPE Ratio?
- Acclaimed value investors Benjamin Graham and David Dodd noted in Security Analysis that equity valuations tend to follow a business cycle of 3-7 years
- The CAPE® Ratio was formulated in the seminal 1988 piece1 from Professor Robert Shiller and John Campbell.
- CAPE® = Cyclically Adjusted P/E (Price?to?Earnings)
- The CAPE® ratio seeks to assess longer term equity valuation by using an inflation adjusted earnings horizon that is 10 times longer than the traditional P/E measure
- Similar to the traditional P/E the CAPE® can be applied to a single equity, a portfolio of equities, a sector or a broad based index
CAPE Ratio for Value Investing – Sectors
- By applying the CAPE® ratio, equity sectors showing a lower CAPE® ratio have tended to have higher subsequent returns
This Tiger Cub Giant Is Betting On Banks And Tech Stocks In The Recovery
The first two months of the third quarter were the best months for D1 Capital Partners' public portfolio since inception, that's according to a copy of the firm's August update, which ValueWalk has been able to review. Q2 2020 hedge fund letters, conferences and more According to the update, D1's public portfolio returned 20.1% gross Read More
Relative CAPE Indicator
- To account for idiosyncratic differences between sectors where CAPE® ratios have historically been of different magnitudes one can construct a Relative CAPE® ratio
- This may allow investors to compare sector valuations on a level playing field