Herbalife Comments On FTC Inquiry
LOS ANGELES, March 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — Herbalife (NYSE: HLF) announced it received today a Civil Investigative Demand (CID) from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). In response, Herbalife issued the following statement:
Chilton Capital's REIT Composite was up 6.1% last month, compared to the MSCI U.S. REIT Index, which gained 4.4%. Year to date, Chilton is up 6.3% net and 6.5% gross, compared to the index's 8.8% return. The firm met virtually with almost 40 real estate investment trusts last month and released the highlights of those Read More
Herbalife welcomes the inquiry given the tremendous amount of misinformation in the marketplace, and will cooperate fully with the FTC. We are confident that Herbalife is in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. Herbalife is a financially strong and successful company, having created meaningful value for shareholders, significant opportunities for distributors and positively impacted the lives and health of its consumers for over 34 years.
Herbalife does not intend to make any additional comments regarding this matter unless and until there are material developments.
About Herbalife Ltd.
Herbalife Ltd. (NYSE:HLF) is a global nutrition company that sells weight-management, nutrition and personal care products intended to support a healthy lifestyle.Herbalife products are sold in more than 90 countries to and through a network of independent members. The Company supports the Herbalife Family Foundation and its Casa Herbalife program to help bring good nutrition to children. Herbalife’s website contains a significant amount of financial and other information about the company athttp://ir.Herbalife.com. The company encourages investors to visit its website from time to time, as information is updated and new information is posted.
Although we believe that the expectations reflected in any of our forward-looking statements are reasonable, actual results could differ materially from those projected or assumed in any of our forward-looking statements. Our future financial condition and results of operations, as well as any forward-looking statements, are subject to change and to inherent risks and uncertainties, such as those disclosed or incorporated by reference in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Important factors that could cause our actual results, performance and achievements, or industry results to differ materially from estimates or projections contained in our forward-looking statements include, among others, the following:
- any collateral impact resulting from the ongoing worldwide financial environment, including the availability of liquidity to us, our customers and our suppliers or the willingness of our customers to purchase products in a difficult economic environment;
- our relationship with, and our ability to influence the actions of, our Members;
- improper action by our employees or Members in violation of applicable law;
- adverse publicity associated with our products or network marketing organization, including our ability to comfort the marketplace and regulators regarding our compliance with applicable laws;
- the outcome of inquiries from regulatory authorities;
- changing consumer preferences and demands;
- our reliance upon, or the loss or departure of any member of, our senior management team which could negatively impact our Member relations and operating results;
- the competitive nature of our business;
- regulatory matters governing our products, including potential governmental or regulatory actions concerning the safety or efficacy of our products and network marketing program, including the direct selling market in which we operate;
- legal challenges to our network marketing program;
- risks associated with operating internationally and the effect of economic factors, including foreign exchange, inflation, disruptions or conflicts with our third party importers, pricing and currency devaluation risks, especially in countries such as Venezuela;
- uncertainties relating to the application of transfer pricing, duties, value added taxes, and other tax regulations, and changes thereto;
- uncertainties relating to interpretation and enforcement of legislation in China governing direct selling;
- uncertainties relating to the interpretation, enforcement or amendment of legislation in India governing direct selling;
- our inability to obtain the necessary licenses to expand our direct selling business in China;
- adverse changes in the Chinese economy, Chinese legal system or Chinese governmental policies;
- our dependence on increased penetration of existing markets;
- contractual limitations on our ability to expand our business;
- our reliance on our information technology infrastructure and outside manufacturers;
- the sufficiency of trademarks and other intellectual property rights;
- product concentration;
- changes in tax laws, treaties or regulations, or their interpretation;
- taxation relating to our Members;
- product liability claims;
- whether we will purchase any of our shares in the open markets or otherwise; and
- share price volatility related to, among other things, speculative trading and certain traders shorting our common shares.
We do not undertake any obligation to update or release any revisions to any forward-looking statement or to report any events or circumstances after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events, except as required by law.
SVP, Worldwide Corp. Communications
VP, Investor Relations
News Provided by Acquire Media