Facebook Mobile App Winning The ‘Browser’ War


Outside of gaming, Facebook Inc (NASDAQ:FB)’s mobile app is enjoying more use than any one program on tablets and smartphones. Oh, and that’s all games as an aggregate. No one game accounts for more daily use than Facebook’s Mobile App which clocks in at 18% of the time people spend on their tablet or smartphone each day.

Facebook Mobile App Winning The 'Browser' War

This information comes from a recent research and study by Flurry, a mobile analytics firm that tracks application use on 1 billion active tablets and smartphones. That 18% means that the average user is spending 28 minutes each day with Facebook’s Mobile.

Exclusive: Dan Loeb’s Two New Stock Picks [Q1 Letter]

Nestle Dan Loeb Daniel Loeb third point capital hedge fund manager activist investor poison pen activism Yahoo corporate governance famous investorsThird Point's Dan Loeb discusses their new positions in a letter to investor reviewed by ValueWalk. Stay tuned for more coverage. Loeb notes some new purchases as follows: Third Point’s investment in Grab is an excellent example of our ability to “lifecycle invest” by being a thought and financial partner from growth capital stages to Read More

Flurry used its data along with numbers from ComScore and NetMarketShare, to realize that consumers spend an average of 2 hours and 38 minutes per day on smartphones and tablets, that’s a lot but explains why smartphones for many, including myself, are going to be the death of conversation as we know it.

About 80% of these 2 hours and 38 minutes per day is spent inside of applications, the other 20% is spent surfing the Mobile web with Safari accounting for the lion’s share of browser use.

Gaming still dominates tablet and smartphone use at 32% but Facebook Inc (NASDAQ:FB) must be pleased with these numbers and shows that they are dominating the Mobile web.

“If we … consider the proportion of Facebook app usage that is within their web view (aka browser), then we can assert that Facebook has become the most adopted browser in terms of consumer time spent,” Flurry CEO Simon Khalaf wrote in a blog post.

Not all is lost for other applications and their developers. Flurry also shows that in the last year the amount of applications used each day by the average person has risen from 7.2 to 7.9 over the last two years. People are still downloading apps and using them. There is still plenty of room for a breakthrough app to make a huge splash in the market.

With only 2% of people’s time being spent in news apps, one can only think and hope, that Facebook mobile users are getting their news without leaving the Facebook Inc (NASDAQ:FB) application. Oh, let it be so. The optimist in me wants to believe that your average Facebook user is clicking to the links they are sent by The New York Time, The Economist, The Atlantic and others but the pessimist can’t help but wonder, given the amount of time people are spending each day with games.

Previous article Yahoo! Mail Gets Dropbox Integration: Here’s How It Works
Next article Apple Inc. (AAPL) Is Disappointing Alan Kay
While studying economics, Brendan found himself comfortably falling down the rabbit hole of restaurant work, ultimately opening a consulting business and working as a private wine buyer. On a whim, he moved to China, and in his first week following a triumphant pub quiz victory, he found himself bleeding on the floor based on his arrogance. The same man who put him there offered him a job lecturing for the University of Wales in various sister universities throughout the Middle Kingdom. While primarily lecturing in descriptive and comparative statistics, Brendan simultaneously earned an Msc in Banking and International Finance from the University of Wales-Bangor. He's presently doing something he hates, respecting French people. Well, two, his wife and her mother in the lovely town of Antigua, Guatemala. <i>To contact Brendan or give him an exclusive, please contact him at [email protected]</i>

No posts to display