Mark your calendars, on Nov. 7, ValueWalk will be covering the Invest for Kids Conference in Chicago, IL.
In the fourth annual conference, Invest For Kids (IFK) will bring together top managers from the investment community to discuss great investment ideas and market insights. In doing so, this will support local children’s organizations.
The Electron Global Fund was up 2% for September, bringing its third-quarter return to -1.7% and its year-to-date return to 8.5%. Meanwhile, the MSCI World Utilities Index was down 7.2% for September, 1.7% for the third quarter and 3.3% year to date. The S&P 500 was down 4.8% for September, up 0.2% for the third Read More
Since the conference’s inception in 2009, through last year, Invest for Kids has donated approximately $3 million to 19 unique Chicago organizations ($150,000 each). Ron Levin and Ben Kovler founded the organization, and it focuses on smaller groups that can make a more unique gift and significant difference in the services provided by the organizations.
With the costs underwritten entirely by IFK’s co-founders, 100 percent of the money raised will directly go to Chicago children’s charities. This has included Open Books, Bear Necessities, and Chicago Scholars.
In its first year, the organization had 500 attendees and raised $850,000. Last year with its 750 attendees, it raised $1.1 million, and for 2012, the goal is 850 attendees and $1.5 million.
Past attendees have included David Einhorn, Greenlight Capital Re, Ltd. (NASDAQ:GLRE), William Ackman, Pershing Square Capital Management,Meredith Whitney, Meredith Whitney Advisory Group and many other famous investors/analysts.
Drawing in attendees for this year are the following impressive speakers:
- Kyle Bass, Hayman Capital Management LP – Bass is the principal of Hayman Capital Management LP, which was formed in December 2005; he serves as the investment manager to the Hayman Capital Master Fund LP and Japan Macro Opportunities Master Fund LP.
- Frank Brosensm Taconic Capital Advisors LP – Brosensm is a co-founder of Taconic Capital Advisors LP,a multi-strategy firm primarily focused on event investing in the Americas and Europe; it has assets under management of approximately $7 Billion. Brosensm is primarily involved in management and risk control, and oversees Taconic’s investment activities.
- James Grant, Grant’s Interest Rate Observer – Grant originated the “Current Yield” column in Barron’s before founding Grant’s Interest Rate Observer in 1983. He is the author of five books on finance and financial history: Bernard M. Baruch: The Adventures of a Wall Street Legend, Money of the Mind, Minding Mr. Market, The Trouble with Prosperity and Mr. Market Miscalculates.
- David Herro, Harris Associates – Herro is the chief investment officer-International Equities at Harris Associates LP and serves as the Portfolio Manager of The Oakmark International Fund, The Oakmark International Small Cap Fund, and The Oakmark Global SelectFund.
- Alex Klabin, Senator Investment Group, LP – Klabin is the managing partner and co-chief investment officer of Senator Investment Group, a New York-based registered investment adviser founded in 2008 with more than $3.5 billion in assets. Senator manages private investment funds that pursue credit and equity investments in both public and private securities.
- Steve Mandel,Lone Pine Capital LLC – Mandel is the founder of Lone Pine Capital, a long/short and long-only equity money manager which he started in 1997.
- Nelson Peltz, Trian Fund Management LP- Peltz is the chief executive officer and a founding partner of Trian Fund Management LP. Founded in November of 2005, Trian Partners seeks to invest in undervalued and under-performing companies, and to work closely with the management of those companies to enhance shareholder value.
- Steven Romick First Pacific Advisors LLC – Romick is co-managing partner of First Pacific Advisors LLC, a Los Angeles-based investment manager with $19.2 billion under management in equity, fixed income, and alternative strategies. He is a value investor with a proven ability to build strategies with an absolute return focus.
- Jeff Ubben, ValueAct Capital Management LLC – Ubben is the founder, chief executive officer and the chief investment officer of ValueAct Capital, founded in 2000.
- Sam Zell Equity, Group Investments LLC – Zell is chairman of Equity Group Investments, the private,Chicago-based investment firm he founded more than 40 years ago. He also chairs five public companies on the New York Stock Exchange, and is chairman of Equity International. Zell also serves as chairman of the Tribune Company.
To learn more about the organization and the Nov. 7 event (held from 1:30 to 5 p.m. CT), please visit the following link:
The Conference is for a great cause, and the speaker line-up is second to none. Hurry up before tickets are sold out!
Don’t forget to check back on Nov. 7 for stories from the conference.