AT&T Inc. And Pandora Media Inc Beat Earnings Estimates

Updated on

AT&T and Pandora Media released their latest earnings reports after closing bell tonight. AT&T posted adjusted earnings of 69 cents per share on revenue of $33.0 billion, a 1.4% year over year increase. Analysts had been expecting earnings of 63 cents per share on $33.04 billion in revenue. In the same quarter last year, the phone company reported revenue of $32.58 billion and adjusted earnings of 62 cents per share.

Pandora Media posted adjusted earnings of 5 cents per share and revenue of $285.6 million, a 30% increase from last year. Analysts had been expecting earnings of 2 cents per share on $283 million in revenue.

AT&T’s earnings by segment

Reported earnings were 58 cents per share, compared to last year’s 68 cents per share. Last year’s reported earnings included a one-time positive impact of 8 cents per share from the sale of AT&T’s investment in America Movil.

AT&T reported 2.1 million net wireless adds, of which 410,000 postpaid, 331,000 prepaid, and 1 million connected cars. The carrier added approximately 1.2 million branded smartphones to its base and saw a low churn rate of 1.31% for its wireless business. Also the carrier saw strong phone-only average revenue per user as billings through the AT&T Next plan rose 6.1% compared to last year and 3.3% compared to the previous quarter. The operating margin for the wireless segment was 25.6%, the EBITDA margin was 36.9%, and the adjusted EBITDA service margin was 48.5%, the best ever.

In the wireline business, AT&T posted $2.7 billion in strategic business services revenue, a 13% increase year over year, and consumer U-verse revenues of $14.1 billion.

Internationally, AT&T completed the acquisition of Nextel Mexico and began integrating with lusacell. Also the carrier set up plans to own and operate a 4G LTE network in Mexico.

As of this writing, shares of AT&T were down 0.03% at $33.90 per share in after-hours trading.

Key metrics from Pandora Media’s earnings report

Pandora posted a net loss of 8 cents per share, compared to last year’s net loss of 6 cents per share. Adjusted EBITDA rose 29% to $16.3 million.

Total RPMs increased 24% to a record $53.91, while ad RPMs increased 25% to $49.94, another new record. Ad revenue increased 30% year over year to $230.9 million. Total mobile revenue increased 37% to $229.7 million, while local ad revenue grew 67% to $58.9 million. Total listener hours were 5.3 billion, a 5% increase.

Pandora Media expects third quarter revenue to be between $310 and $315 million and adjusted EBITDA of between $25 million and $30 million. For the full year, management expects revenue of between $1.175 billion and $1.185 billion.

As of this writing, shares of Pandora Media were up 4.54% at $14.50 per share in after-hours trades.

Leave a Comment