According to his company’s website, Arnold Van DenBerg founded Century Management in 1974. He is the company’s CEO and serves as chairman of the CM Advisors Family of Funds Board of Trustees. Active in managing investment strategies for the firm, Arnold is the lead portfolio manager for the CM Value I (All-Cap Value) separate account strategy, for all of the balanced separate account strategies, and for the CM Advisors Fund (CMAFX). He is the co-portfolio manager for the CM Fixed Income separate account strategy and the CM Advisors Fixed Income Fund (CMFIX). Arnold was featured in The World’s 99 Greatest Investors: The Secret of Success by Magnus Angenfelt, 2013 (pp 226-227)
In an interview a few years ago Arnold was asked which books he liked. Arnold subdivided his favorite books into three/four topics and listed them as follows.
- “The Intelligent Investor” By Ben Graham
- Berkshire Hathaway’s current and historical annual reports
- “The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America” by L.A. Cunningham
- “Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits“by Philip Fisher
- “Conservative Investors Sleep Well” by Philip Fisher
- “Developing an Investment Philosophy” by Philip Fisher
- “Pathways to Wealth Through Commons Stocks” by
- “Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor” by Seth Klarman
- “Value Investing Made Easy” by Janet Lowe.
- “When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management” by Roger Lowenstein
- “Security Analysis” by Benjamin Graham and David Dodd.
“From Poverty to Power” James Allen
“Eight Pillars of Prosperity” by James Allen
“As a Man Thinketh” by James Allen
Arnold mentioned the above three by name but really seemed to stress his love of anything by James Allen. Here are more from Allen.
- Mind is the Master: The Complete James Allen Treasury
- As a Woman Thinketh
- As You Think
- James Allen 21 Books
Subcategory – Goal setting
- “Think and Grow Rich” by Napoleon Hill
- “The Wisdom of Your Subconscious Mind” by J.K. Williams
- “The Knack of Using Your Subconscious Mind” by J.K. Williams
“The China Study” by Dr. Colin Campbell. Arnold compared this book to Security Analysis in terms of importance to its field.
VALUEWALK participates in the Amazon Associates Program: we earn a small percentage if you purchase an item (we have no idea who purchases what) Each of your purchases via our Amazon affiliation links supports quality journalism at no additional cost to you.