Members of Congress, Youth Climate Strike Leaders Join Hundreds of Moms Converging on Capitol Hill as Part of Sweeping Movement for Climate Solutions
Moms Clean Air Force to Host Annual “Play-In” Demanding that Lawmakers and 2020 Presidential Hopefuls Solve Climate Crisis
Third Point's Dan Loeb discusses their new positions in a letter to investor reviewed by ValueWalk. Stay tuned for more coverage. Loeb notes some new purchases as follows: Third Point’s investment in Grab is an excellent example of our ability to “lifecycle invest” by being a thought and financial partner from growth capital stages to Read More
(Washington, D.C.) – On Thursday, July 11th,. more than 500 members from more than 30 states will gather at the U.S. Capitol for the sixth Moms Clean Air Force “Play-In for Climate Action” and live-streamed press conference. This annual event will showcase visionary moms, Youth Climate Strikers, Members of Congress and other leaders demanding urgent action on climate. Moms will stand shoulder-to-shoulder with elders and youth in full support of the global student strikes that have ignited a social movement – the likes of which we haven’t seen in decades. This intergenerational momentum is building toward the global strike for climate action on September 20th.
Speakers will be calling on political leadership at the highest levels—including the 2020 presidential candidates—to protect our families by taking the climate crisis seriously. This means 100% clean energy across the entire economy by 2050.
The family-friendly Play-In for Climate Action will feature kids’ activities, including a giant parachute, yoga, hula hoops, towering puppets and larger-than-life climate-themed building blocks, as well as a live performance by Latin GRAMMY award winning bilingual children’s musician, Mister G.
Following the Play-In, families will head to the Capitol to meet with their members of Congress to share their personal stories and will urge their representatives to take immediate action on climate change for the sake of their children’s health and future.
What: Moms Clean Air Force Play-In for Climate Action at the U.S. Capitol
Where: The National Mall at 3rd St SW & Madison Dr NW
Press Conference Time: 10:30 am
- Keynote speaker Alexandria Villaseñor is a 14-year-old climate justice activist and leading organizer for the ongoing global Fridays for Future Climate Strikes.
- Emcee Vanessa Hauc is a Telemundo Network Emmy award-winning journalist
- Congresswoman Lisa Blunt Rochester (D-DE At-large)
- Senator Tom Carper (D-DE) Chair of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee
- Congresswoman Kathy Castor (D-FL 7) Chair of the House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis
- Congresswoman Debbie Dingell (D-MI 12)
- Congresswoman Deb Haaland (D-NM 1)
- Congressman Donald McEachin (D-VA 4)
- Congresswoman Kim Schrier (D-WA 8)
- Great Grandmother Mary Lyons is a Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe member in Minnesota, UN Indigenous Observer and Author
- Rev Michael Malcom, MDiv MBA is the Executive Director of Alabama Interfaith Power and Light
- Dominique Browning is Moms Clean Air Force’s Co-Founder and Senior Director
- Heather Toney is Moms Clean Air Force’s National Field Director
An updated list of speakers can be found here.
Where: The National Mall at 3rd St SW & Madison Drive NW, Washington DC (the event, including the press conference, will also be live streamed on the Moms Clean Air Force Facebook page found here: https://www.facebook.com/momscleanairforce)
Alternate rain location: Lutheran Church of the Reformation, 12 East Capitol St NE, Washington, DC 20003
When: Thursday, July, 11 2018 from 9:00-11:00 AM
NOTE: Press conference will begin promptly at 10:30 AM and runs about 45 minutes. Unlike a traditional press conference, there will not be time for Q&A. Please direct media requests for individual speakers to an attendant at the “Press Area” (located near the stage) or reach out to the above-listed contact.
Livestreaming available here.
About Moms Clean Air Force
Moms Clean Air Force is a community of over one million moms—and dads—working together to fight air pollution, including the urgent crisis of our changing climate. For more information, go to http://www.momscleanairforce.org/or follow us on Twitter @CleanAirMoms, Instagram @cleanairmoms, or Facebook.