Media attending will have the opportunity to ride aboard a research cruise to see how water is sampled as they travel to the lake laboratory and to speak with NOAA’s lead HAB forecaster. The briefing portion of the event will also be streamed as a webinar for the press and public.
European Space Agency (ESA) Envisat satellite.image taken on Oct. 8, 2011, using its MERIS sensor, showing harmful algal bloom in the western basin of Lake Erie. (ESA)
Media events to include:
- Lake Erie water sampling boat trip
- History of HABs in Lake Erie
- Update on nutrient loads into Maumee River
- NOAA’s forecast for 2019 Lake Erie HAB
- Overview of the Ohio Department of Higher Education’s Harmful Algal Bloom Research Initiative, known as HABRI
Stone Laboratory at Ohio State’s island campus on Lake Erie. Gibraltar Island, Put-in-Bay, Ohio.
An online webinar will also be available.
Thu., July 11, 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. EDT
- 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Media briefing at Aquatic Visitors Center and webinar
- 12:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.: Questions for speakers
- 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.: Interviews with subject matter experts and boxed lunch
- 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.: Two one-hour research cruise and photo opportunities (media may choose the 2 pm or 3 pm event during RSVP)
- Margo Schulze-Haugen, deputy director, NOAA’s National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science
- Chris Winslow, Ph.D., director, Ohio Sea Grant and Stone Laboratory
- Laura Johnson, Ph.D., director, National Center for Water Quality Research, Heidelberg University
- Rick Stumpf, Ph.D., oceanographer, NOAA’s National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science
Media should RSVP to Jill Jentes via this online link to attend in person. The deadline to register is Fri., July 5 (to include lunch provided by Ohio State’s Stone Laboratory) or by 3 p.m. Wed., July 10 (lunch not included).
NOAA’s mission is to understand and predict changes in the Earth‘s environment, from the depths of the ocean to the surface of the sun, and to conserve and manage our coastal and marine resources. Join us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and our other social media channels.