The following is a presentation by Gabriel Grego, founder of Quintessential Capital Management, from the 2019 Sohn Hong Kong Conference discussing Allergan plc (NYSE:AGN)’s serial write offs and poor management.
QCM: Effectiveness As Activist
There's a gold rush coming as electric vehicle manufacturers fight for market share, proclaimed David Einhorn at this year's 2021 Sohn Investment Conference. Check out our coverage of the 2021 Sohn Investment Conference here. Q1 2021 hedge fund letters, conferences and more SORRY! This content is exclusively for paying members. SIGN UP HERE If you Read More
Allergan: Unlocking Value Through Management Changes
(QCM is long AGN)
Allergan In A Nutshell
- Market Cap: $46b (NYSE)
- Industry: pharma
- Segments: esthetics, general medicine
- Sales: $15.7b
- EBITDA: $7.1b
- Known for: Botox
Challenging Stock Performance (-58% Since 2015)
- Formerly Actavis.
- Redomiciled to Ireland (tax inversion)
- Generics division sale to Teva, deleveraging
- M&A spree
- Recent issues:
- Loss of exclusivity
- Serial write offs
- Looming botox competition
- Activist shareholders involved
Not Exactly A Thriving Business At First Sight...
...But Appearances Can Be Deceptive...
AGN: Inexpensive By Most Measures
EV/EBITDA: 9.7 (vs 13.5 Median*)
Valuation: FWD P/E 8.4 (vs. 17.9 Median*)
Why So Cheap? Plenty Of Uncertainty
- Botox: fear of new competitors
- Write offs: poor management?
- Loss of Exclusivity
- High leverage (3.2x EBITDA)
Loss Of Exclusivity: Can Be Managed
- Restasis + other LOE
- Only 9% of sales affected
- Mitigated by core growth*
->little/no impact on valuation
Write Offs: Poor Management?
- Questionable M&A
- Spectacular failures (e.g. Rapastinel)
- No new champions
- $13.4bn of balance sheet write-downs (in 4 years).
- Underperforming pipeline
Botox: Great Franchise, But New Competition Looming
- 24% of total AGN sales
- Fast (9%) growth rate
- Demographic tailwind
- High margin
- Limited regulatory risk (cash-based)
...But New Competitive Threats: Jeuveau
- Jeuveau (by Evolus)
- Seems clinically equivalent
- Marketed aggressively
- Discounts to doctors
- Social media
...But New Competitive Threats: Daxi
- Daxi (by Revance)
- Might be approved in 2020 for frown lines.
- Seems to lasts significantly longer than Botox*.
Daxi Clinical Studies
Assessing Competitive Threats: Bull Case
- Brand strength
- Some customer lock-in
- cosmetic portfolio synergies
- Resilience vis-à-vis old, stronger competitors
- Competitors provide little/no new benefits, no clinical history.
- Botox upcoming longer-lasting product
Assessing Competitive Threats: Bear Case
- Some Botox clients will switch, if incentives are large enough.
- Product choice usually driven by doctor, not patient.
- Competitors may provide discounts to doctors.
- Safety profile not an issue (products perceived as nearly equivalent).
- New products may be more effective/longer lasting
Botox Worst-Case-Ccenario: Not So Bad
- Cosmetic Botox: only 10% of AGN’s revenue.
- Medical Botox less threatened.
- Doctors store 2/3 products max. Botox must-have.
- Growing market (CAGR 7.6%) should accommodate new supply
Many Ways To Win...
- Management shakeout
- Total vs biz dev
- Stand still, deleverage & buyback
- Botox fears proven unfounded
- Split cosmetic/medical
- David Tepper (Appaloosa)
- Seth Klarman (Baupost)
Why We Believe Management Has To Go
- Failed M&A policy
- Bad buyback timing
- Questionable compensation
- Lack of candor
- Main reason for depressed stock price
- Strong core portfolio.
- Botox threats probably overblown
- Very strong FCF generation
- Deleveraging & buyback underway
- Price multiple depressed
- Activists safeguarding questionable management
This article first appeared on ValueWalk Premium