Many Americans will spend their “golden years” of retirement scrimping and sacrificing, according to a new study by the Wall Street Journal. I have financial security expert and bestselling author Pamela Yellen to explain:
How to rescue yourself from a meager retirement
A “combination of economic and demographic forces has left older Americans with bigger bills and less money to pay them.” According to the Wall Street Journal, Americans approaching retirement age face:
Q2 Hedge Funds Resource Page Now LIVE!!! Lives, Conferences, Slides And More [UPDATED 7/7 17:16 EST]
Simply click the menu below to perform sorting functions. This page was just created on 7/1/2020 we will be updating it on a very frequent basis over the next three months (usually at LEAST daily), please come back or bookmark the page. As always we REALLY really appreciate legal letters and tips on hedge funds Read More
- Stagnant incomes: Median incomes, including Social Security and retirement fund receipts, haven’t risen in years.
- High debt: They are often paying off children’s educations and dipping into savings to help aging parents.
- Paltry 401(k) retirement funds: The median income is under $8,000 a year for a household of two.
“What does a reduced lifestyle in retirement look like? It’s not pretty,” Pamela says. “You may have to work multiple low-wage jobs, give up things you now consider necessities, skip vacations and even haircuts. You may have to appeal to your children to help out.”
Social Security will “become depleted and unable to pay scheduled benefits in full on a timely basis in 2034,” according to the fund’s trustees. And many public-sector workers who expected a pension for life are living with uncertainty as cash-strapped governments consider pension cuts to cover their massive unfunded liabilities.
So what can you do about it? Pamela shares her 5-Step Plan to Protect Yourself:
- Don’t put your head in the sand – that won’t make the problem go away.
- When calculating how much you’ll need in retirement, use the currently recommended savings withdrawal rate of 2.8%, and assume you’ll live to at least age 95 because there’s a good chance you or your partner will.
- Don’t rely too much on volatile, unpredictable government-sponsored retirement accounts for income in retirement. If you don’t know the minimum guaranteed value of your savings when you want to tap into them, you don’t have a plan – you’re gambling.
- Don’t rely too much on Social Security or a public pension fund, for the reasons discussed above.
- Save more in guaranteed, safe and liquid financial vehicles. Pamela advocates The Bank On Yourself wealth-building strategy. It allows people to know the guaranteed minimum value of their savings at any point in time.
“These plans have grown in value every single year for more than 160 years and have never had a losing or stagnant year,” she says. “They do not go backward when the market crashes.”
About Pamela: Pamela Yellen is founder of Bank On Yourself, a financial investigator and the author of two New York Times best-selling books, including her latest, "The Bank On Yourself Revolution: Fire Your Banker, Bypass Wall Street, and Take Control of Your Own Financial Future." Pamela investigated more than 450 financial strategies seeking an alternative to the risk and volatility of stocks and other investments, which led her to a time-tested, predictable method of growing wealth now used by more than 500,000 Americans.