Online roofing supplier Roof Stores have put together a list of the most iconic falls in film history. Their selection of the most well-known plunges spans decades, genres and – most crucially – distance, giving us more of an insight into these jaw-dropping scenes.
The list includes:
- Gandalf – Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: In one of the most iconic scenes from Peter Jackson’s movie trilogy, based on the classic novels by JRR Tolkien, Gandalf the Grey is dragged into a seemingly endless cavern beneath the Mines of Moria.
- Chev Chelios – Crank: The final scene of the movie sees Chelios battle the movie’s big bad Ricky Verona on board a helicopter leading to a mid-air fist fight which leaves both men plummeting to the ground.
- Ma-Ma – Dredd: Both Ma-Ma and her army of thugs are defeated by Judge Dredd, who throws her from the roof of the huge skyscraper she used as a base for her drugs empire, preventing her detonating a failsafe explosive.
- Hans Gruber – Die Hard: Hans Gruber meets his freefalling fate when - in a final confrontation with NYPD Detective John McClane - he fails to notice a concealed handgun duct taped to the wisecracking cop’s back.
- Alec Trevelyan – GoldenEye: Rogue MI6 agent Alec Trevelyan faces his ex-partner, James Bond, in a dramatic confrontation on top of a huge satellite dish. In the end, he proves no match for 007, who unceremoniously drops him to his doom.
- Richard Kimble – The Fugitive: In the most iconic set piece from the movie, Kimble is cornered at the entrance to a storm drain overlooking a dam by Deputy U.S. Marshal Samuel Gerard. Rather than surrender, he takes a leap of faith and makes his escape.
Now that you know what to expect take a look at The Most Iconic Falls in Film History.