If 2017 was the year of the ICO, 2018 may well be the year of the blockchain VC. The number of crypto hedge funds and venture capital firms continues to expand. Likewise, many traditional venture capital firms have added blockchain companies to their portfolios. Some, like multi-billion dollar VC Andreessen Horowitz, have announced new funds focused specifically on digital assets like cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.
Amidst the rapid growth in the industry, some venture capital firms stand out. Here is a look at the top VCs investing in blockchain companies, according to recent data from Crypto Fund Research.
Below are the top blockchain VCs:
- Digital Currency Group
- Pantera Capital
- Blockchain Capital
- Andreessen Horowitz
- Node Capital
- Boost VC
- IDG Capital
- Draper Associates
- Ceyuan Ventures
- Lightspeed Venture Partners
- RRE Ventures
- Union Square Ventures
- General Catalyst
- Liberty City Ventures
- 500 Startups
- Danhua Capital (DHVC)
- Kindred Ventures
- Sequoia Capital
- Future Perfect Ventures
A few interesting notes from the study:
- 18 of the top 50 VCs in the study invest exclusively in crypto/blockchain or have at least one fund devoted exclusively to these digital assets.
- The top 50 blockchain VCs have already invested more in 2018 than they did in the previous two years combined. Total blockchain funding for the entirety of 2018 will likely exceed the total of all previous years.
- Top blockchain VCs often make investments in the same companies. Seven companies received funding from four or more of the top 50 venture capital firms in the study.
- More than half of the top 50 VC’s funding rounds of blockchain companies came as seed stage investments
- 127 venture capital firms have made three or more investments in blockchain startups.
Despite declining prices in cryptocurrencies during the first half of 2017, it seems that investment in blockchain companies is still trending upward.
The full study is available here
Article by Josh Gnaizda, CEO - Crypto Fund Research