LG was sued last year over the bootloop issue that affected many of its devices. The issue that resulted in a class-action lawsuit – called a bootloop lawsuit – against the company seems to be over now with users winning, thanks to a settlement.
Bootloop lawsuit settled for good
On Thursday, the law firm handling the case – Girard Gibbs – posted about the outcome of the case on its website. According to the law firm, they have reached a settlement with the company, which will now offer the members of the suit either cash or a rebate. In the case of the rebate, a member will get $700 off a new LG phone. The discount amount is almost the cost of a new LG V30, which is supposedly immune to bootloop issues.
Those who don’t want to get an LG phone again, will get $425 in straight cash. The cash could to be a better option as it allows you to buy any phone, and at the same time appears hassle free. On the other hand, those who want to stick with the LG brand, $700 off is better as it gets you a brand new LG V30, which has been well received and will soon be upgraded.
At this year's annual Robin Hood conference, which was held virtually, the founder of the world's largest hedge fund, Ray Dalio, talked about asset bubbles and how investors could detect as well as deal with bubbles in the marketplace. Q1 2021 hedge fund letters, conferences and more Dalio believes that by studying past market cycles Read More
To be eligible for the settlement, members of the bootloop lawsuit need to fill a proof of claim form by Feb. 12, 2018. However, it is not clear if you could still join the lawsuit. The members involved will soon be contacted with further information on the settlement process.
It is good that LG chose to settle the bootloop lawsuit as the issue affected many flagship phones. The bootloop issue, which is still unsolved, results in random rebooting over and over, thus rendering the phone practically useless. The phones affected by the bootloop issue were G4, V10, V20, Nexus 5X, and G5.
LG G7 won’t appear at MWC
In separate news, LG has confirmed that the LG G7 won’t be showcased at the MWC (Mobile World Congress) 2018 in late February. Though LG has not directly negated the G7 launch, rather its spokesperson told Tech Advisor that “we are not holding a press conference at MWC this year.”
The news is in-line with what a Gearburn report claimed previously. According to the report, the managing director for LG Electronics South Africa, CY Kim, said that an upgraded version of the LG V30 would be shown at the MWC, while the LG G7 will be “a little bit late.” The upgraded V30 is expected to come with more AI features, leveraging the partnership with Google.
There have also been reports that the G7 is being redesigned, and thus, will not make it in time for the MWC. Last year’s LG G6 was unveiled at the MWC, so this year’s flagship was also expected to debut at the same event. With G7 now delayed, users will be hoping that the handset gets the latest chipset, something that the LG G6 lacked.
As of now, there is no information on when the G7 will launch. Previously, it was expected to be announced in March, and then go on sale in April.