As reported back in January the most used social media platform in the world has yet again jumped on the bandwagon. This time around we have Facebook Stories, a new(ish) way to share images, video, and even selfies on the platform. According to many, this is a shamefully copied SnapChat feature and an attempt by Facebook to connect with a younger more mobile audience. Here’s what you need to know, including how to use it.
This new update allows you to share multiple videos and images which are then placed at the top of your news feed. When you add a new photo or video to your story, it will appear in the new stories section again at the top of your news feed. Additionally, your profile will also appear at the top of your friend’s news feeds and remains available for 24 hours. It’s also worth noting that video stories can be up to 20 seconds long, and this update is only available on iOS and Android apps. At the time of writing this, it is not available on the desktop version of Facebook.
If you haven’t updated the app of late and have been ignoring Facebook’s attempt to push you to do so. Now is the time to update to head on over to the App Store or Google Play search for the Facebook app and update. This will enable you to enter and take part in the wonderful new world that is stories.
How To Use Facebook Stories
So, now that you’re ready, let’s learn how to post use Facebook Stories:
1. Login to your updated app, as soon as you do you will notice the Stories Bar. It’s located at the top of your news feed.
2. To access its features, you have two choices; you can either tap the Your Stories Icon or the Camera Icon in the top-left corner of the screen.
3. Next, you will be presented with a which looks similar to what you may have seen on Instagram. At the bottom-center in a large Circular Button, tapping it will take a photo, holding it will shot video.
However, if you want to share something already stored on your device, you can via the icon on the bottom-right. Once selecting this you will be shown your images/video starting with the most recent. You can scroll through those shown from left-to-right, just tap to select.
4. Having now created or found the content for your first voyage into Facebook Stories it’s now time to save it. This can be done by tapping the large Circular Arrow Button which has appeared at the bottom of the screen.
5. ON the following screen you will see Your Story with a blue tick next to it. Looking at the bottom of the screen you will see a Blue Button. Tapping it will add Your Story to the Facebook feed for all your friends to see.
Additionally, you can select friends from the list who you would like to give one more view. This special viewing will allow them a window of 24 hours after that it will be gone.
Using Camera Effects
If you want to add effects to your Facebook Stories before posting, you can do so. However, from Step 3, do either of the following before saving.
1. There are two effects icons on the screen. One adds frames, masks, or camera effects. It can be found at the bottom-left of the app.
2. The next icon allows you to doodle over your image, it is the Downward Facing Pencil. Selecting it will reveal a selection of colors for you to choose.
Once you have selected and added your chosen effects, continue from Step 4 above to save and share your very first Facebook Story.
And that’s it; you now know how to create, add effects, and share Facebook Stories. We hope you enjoy using it, although, if you have any problems or want to share an opinion, please do so in the comments below.