When Apple showed off portrait mode for the iPhone 7 Plus it took the world by storm, due to its ability to capture stunning images. However, the fact that this high-end iPhone could now snap DSLR-like depth of field and blur/bokeh effects left earlier handset owners out in the cold. Unfortunately, this also meant new iPhone 7 users would also miss out. Having said that 7 Plus owners would have to wait until iOS 10.1.1 was released. And thanks to third-party developers, it’s now available for the iPhone 7 and 6, here’s how to use it.
Portrait Mode without a 7 Plus
So, how can you get blur and bokeh effects on older iPhones? One answer is to make use of third-party applications such as Fab-focus, Patch, AfterFocus, Depth Effects and others. However, in our opinion FabFocus is the best and easiest to use. So, today we’re going to provide you with a how-to use it tutorial.
Device Compatibility and Requirements
Now before you rush off and read the below tutorial, it’s best that you make sure you have a compatible Apple device. To find out just view the list below:
Einhorn Tells Investors: Tesla Is Gaming S&P 500 Index Committee
The Federal Reserve has poured unprecedented levels of stimulus into the U.S. economy to deal with the pandemic, and most experts agree that inflation is just around the corner. David Einhorn has positioned his Greenlight Capital to benefit from inflation when it arrives. Q2 2020 hedge fund letters, conferences and more SORRY! This content is Read More
- iPhone: 5c, 5s, SE, 6, 6s, 6s Plus, 7
- iPad: Mini 2, Pro, Air and above
Next, using one of the compatible devices from the list above go to the App Store and search for FabFocus. If you’re in the US, it costs $1.99, and in the UK £2.99. Purchase it and install it onto your iPhone or iPad. Once that is done you can move forward to the how-to part of the tutorial.
How To Use Portrait Mode with FabFocus
First off, you need to launch the application and allow it to have access to your devices camera and stored images.
1. Now that the app has access, look for the camera button at the bottom center of the screen. Once found, it’s time to take a picture, tap the button to do so. However, if you prefer to take a selfie switch camera’s by tapping the button in the top left corner. Then tap the bottom center camera button.
2. Next, when your taken image is ready, it is time to get the desired blur effect. To do this tap the start button which can be found at the bottom center of the screen.
Now depending on the image you just took, there’s the chance that multiple items could be in it. If that is the case, the app will let you know if a manual blur effect is possible when in portrait mode. However, what if you want to edit your images? Here’s what you have to do:
How to Edit Images
If you have an image which requires some editing to end up with your desired effect, look for the edit button at the bottom of the screen and tap it.
1. On the following screen select the brush tool it will allow you to select any object in an image. To do this drag the brush over the object requiring editing.
2.An additional option allows you to paint an individual object or area of an image while using the portrait mode app. To do this drag the paint brush over to the required area/object. Other options include an eraser which can be used in the same way as the above.
3. Now, no editing tool would be worth using if you could not change the size of the tool you are using. Fortunately, Fabfocus has this feature.
To make use of it, when the brush is selected look to the top of the screen. There you will find a slider, moving it left to right will increase and decrease the size of the brush.
Using Additional Editing Features
While in editing mode look to the left of the screen, there you will see upwards pointing arrows.
1. Tapping on this will reveal extra editing options which will enable you to alter the shape of the blur effect. The options available are a heart shape, circle, triangle, hexagon, star, and more.
2. Additionally, options are available which allow you to alter the intensity of the blur effect can be seen below the shapes. Tapping on any of the options will change the effect. Playing around with this is advisable until you get the desired outcome.
3. When happy, it’s now time to save the changes you have made within the portrait mode provided by Fabfocus. To do that, look for the tick in the bottom right corner and tap it.
And that is it, using the Fabfocus app and it’s portrait mode you now know how to get the same effects as seen on the iPhone 7 Plus! Enjoy..