One of the topmost priorities in many businesses today is data security and cybercrime prevention. In 2015, more than 169 million personal records were exposed, ranging from financial records, trade secrets, and important files from education, government, and healthcare sector. Though big organizations are the usual victims of data breach, there is an ongoing trend which shows that small businesses are rapidly becoming a much-favored victim by hackers nowadays.
Due to lack of formal data security measures and infrastructure, small businesses are more vulnerable even to most amateur hackers today. This also gets worse when the small business owners themselves does not even know the importance of a data security in their business. In fact, a study conducted by CSID revealed that only 31% of small businesses take active measures to guard themselves against security hackers.
If you happen to own a small venture and you’re still clueless on how you can strengthen the data security aspect of your business, then this post is just right for you. Here are the key takeaways from the infographic below which give us eight actionable tips to make our small business as data breach-proofed as possible:
- Limit the access levels of the profile of your employees.
- Implement two-factor authentication
- Use safe wireless network connection in workplace
- Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) for receiving and transmitting sensitive financial data
- Only avail the service of a well-known and trustworthy cloud provider
- Encrypt all the sensitive backup files
- Ensure that all your staff knows the basics of data security
- Be updated with the latest news about data security and cyber-attacks.
Regardless of what your business is, data security is something that you should not take for granted. Check the visual guide below from The Service Manager to know more about the tips to secure your small business against data breach today.