As of 2016, there are 1,810 billionaires on the planet. Although they come from all walks of life, perhaps they share some commonality that contributed to their success? With that in mind, we conducted some extensive research into the upbringing and attributes of the world’s elite.
How many billionaires are female? What percentage are self-made billionaires? What’s the predominant star sign among billionaires?!
Maybe we’re more similar to these entrepreneurs than we think…
- Same old, same old: Over the last two decades, the average age of billionaires in the Forbes Top 100 has increased by 20 years. The average age of a billionaire in 2016 is 67.3. If the trend continues, the average billionaire will be in their 70s by 2019.
- The decline of the female billionaire: In the last 12 years, the number of female billionaires in the Forbes Top 100 has dropped by a third (from 12 to 8). The number of female billionaires actually increased 33% (9 to 12) in the seven years following the financial crisis.
- Do it yourself: The number of self-made billionaires in the Top 100 has risen 50% in two decades. The net worth of self-made billionaires has risen 515% in 20 years.
- Education pays: Among billionaires featured in Forbes’ Top 100 between 1996 and 2016, 86% have a Bachelor’s degree or above. Only 14% dropped out or have no higher education.
- A fine proposal: 87% of the billionaires to have featured in Forbes’ Top 100 since 1996 are married.
- Three’s a crowd: Among the billionaires to have features in Forbes’ Top 100 since 1996, three is the most common number of children (25%). Only 5% have no children.
USA v Rest of the World
- USA: The combined net worth of American billionaires in Forbes’ Top 100 has increased by a staggering 641% in the last two decades. However, in the last 12 months, it has declined by 3%.
- Rest of the World: Russia was hit hardest at the height of the depression, losing 85% of its net worth in a single year. UK billionaires in Forbes’ Top 100 lost the least during the crash. In the years following the crash, UK billionaires in the Top 100 have increased their combined net worth by 185%.
- Have relations in late April/early May: The most popular star sign among billionaires in the Top 100 was Aquarius (12.5% – Jan 19th – Feb 18th). The least popular was Cancer (5.9% – June 20th– July 20th).
- Visionaries: The percentage of billionaires with glasses has dropped from 52% in 2001 to 41% in 2016.
- Hair today, gone tomorrow: The number of billionaires suffering from male pattern baldness has increased from 15% in 2003 to 24% in 2016.
The answers can be found here: http://www.gocompare.com/money