Just a couple of weeks ago, the GoPro Hero 5 Black and Session were unveiled at an event in Squaw Valley, California. Now the action cameras have hit the shelves at a select few stores, online and at GoPro.com. But what do these two new action cameras offer and how much do they cost?
Before the unveiling of the new cameras, GoPro hadn’t launched a flagship device since the Hero 4 in 2014. As such, many users and critics of its products had considered their announcement overdue. However, more importantly for GoPro, it had started to see its past domination of the market it created dwindle, in part due to its lack of movement and competition from Sony, Kodak and Panasonic.
So in a bid to stop the rot and stabilize its market share, GoPro finally launched two cameras that can compete.
GoPro Hero 5 Black and Session similarities
Both cameras can use GoPro Plus, the company’s cloud-based service. It enables a Hero 5 user to upload content to the subscription-based service to be edited or shared. This editing or sharing can take place on either a mobile phone or a computer.
GoPro Hero 5 users can take their camera down to a depth of 33 feet due to its waterproofing. There’s no longer a need for a separate water housing; however, one can be added to reach greater depths.
Also the GoPro Hero Session and Black can both be controlled in up to seven languages, with more coming soon. Not seen on a GoPro camera before, this is a feature fans have been itching to try out. Voice control options range from starting recordings and snapping stills to ending a recording.
Additionally, both devices have improved battery life and the ability to capture non-fisheye perspectives, plus wide-angle views. One other area of similarity is that both versions of the GoPro Hero 5 are compatible with the Karma drone.
Now that we’ve looked at how similar each camera is, let’s have a look at what they each offer independently.
GoPro Hero 5 Black specs and features
The GoPro Hero 5 Black is the most powerful camera ever produced by the manufacturer. It has an array of features and capabilities that are unique. Right now the device is priced at $399.99.
- 12-megapixel camera
- Capable of shooting in 4K up to 30 frames per second
- 2-inch LCD Touch Display with simplified controls
- Upload video and images to GoPro Plus while the camera is charging
- Support for seven languages with voice control
- Waterproof up to a depth of 33 feet without additional housing
- Compatible with the GoPro Karma drone and other GoPro mounts
- Control of the camera by one button is possible
- Advanced wind noise reduction and stereo audio recording
- Electronic stabilization, professional-Grade
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity
- Wide-angle images and video, plus new linear view setting
- RAW and WDR images
GoPro Hero 5 Session specs and features
With the new Session, GoPro hopes to bypass the issues it had with the original. To do so, the company keeps the small and compact design of its predecessor but offers more advanced features. You can pick up a GoPro Hero 5 Session for $299.99.
- 10-megapixel camera
- Capable of recording video at 4K up to 30 frames per second
- Voice control and support for seven languages
- Upload video and Images to the cloud while the Session is charging
- Waterproof up to a maximum depth of 33 feet without extra housing
- Simple one-button control
- Compatible with GoPro mounts and the Karma drone
- Professional-grade image stabilization
- Linear view setting which enables wide-angled video and images
Already a GoPro user? One thing to remember about the GoPro Hero 5 Black and Session is that they are compatible with previous mounts. So if you already own some, there’s no need to go out and buy anything new in the way of mounts.