Turns out, the Galaxy Note 7 was not the first Samsung product to explode and catch fire. Its washing machines have had this feature long before the arrival of the Note 7. The Korean electronics giant is working overtime to recall the 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7 that were catching fire due to faulty batteries. On Wednesday, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued a statement warning consumers about Samsung’s exploding washing machines.
The affected washing machines were made between 2011 and 2016
The US regulator asked owners of Samsung’s top-loading washing machines manufactured between March 2011 and April 2016 to be careful while using them. The CPSC is working with Samsung to come up with a “remedy for affected consumers.” Samsung acknowledged the issue in an official statement. The Korean company provided a link for washing machine owners to check if their appliance is vulnerable to exploding.
Samsung said the issue is caused by abnormal vibrations that could pose a risk of property damage or personal injury when washing bulky, bedding or water-resistant items. The company recommended users to limit to washing clothes in lower speed delicate cycle, as no complaints have been reported while operating in that mode. According to ABC News, the CPSC ha received at least 21 reports from consumers saying their washing machines had “exploded or blown apart.”
Will Samsung recall washing machines, just like Galaxy Note 7?
It is not clear whether, just like Galaxy Note 7, Samsung will recall the washing machines in question. Some of the affected washing machines have been in use for more than five years. Recalling them could prove to be an even bigger challenge than the worldwide recall of Galaxy Note 7. The Note 7 recall is estimated to wipe out about $5 billion from Samsung’s revenue.
Samsung found itself in deeper trouble when Note 7 owners in China started reporting about their brand new phablets catching fire or exploding. The electronics giant had said previously that Note 7s sold in China were “safe” as they featured batteries from a different supplier.