There are many different types of viruses, malware, adware, and spyware all designed in one way or another to deprive you of your money, data, or privacy. One of the latest is a redirect virus known as the (877) 764-4192 pop-up. Designed to be capable of fooling experienced Windows 10 users, this nasty can disguise itself very well. Here what you need to know to get rid of it safely.
(877) 764-4192 pop-up on Windows 10
Imagine you’re browsing the internet, using search, doing some shopping, maybe even chatting, when an unsolicited pop-up appears on your screen. It states that you have a severe problem and that you need to call the tech support number in the pop-up window for help.
Wait: don’t call the number. If you do, the agent at the other end will pretend to fix your problem and charge you somewhere in the region of $200 for doing so.
The pop-up has links: don’t click them
So you’ve seen this pop-up on your Windows 10 PC, or you’re worried that you may see it in the future. What should you do? DO NOT CLICK ITS LINKS; you will be sent to inappropriate websites which will prompt you to download freeware.
You should follow the free guide below; it will tell you how to remove this Windows 10 virus.
However, before you begin the process, here’s what you can expect to happen if you do not remove it.
- You will constantly be harassed by pop-ups and adverts.
- Your browser could become hijacked, and you could find yourself being redirected to porn and other untrustworthy sites.
- The data stored on your Windows 10 PC will no longer be safe from hackers and data theft.
- At will, the virus can install other malicious software.
- The speed, performance, and stability of your computer will be compromised.
How to remove the (877)764-4192 pop-up from Windows 10
This method of clearing your Windows 10 PC of the pop-up virus is the most in-depth and thorough one available. However, it is a little detailed, so please make sure you take the time to understand each step.
Step 1: Open task manager
To start this process, press “CTRL + Shift + Esc” at the same time. This will open the resources tab in the Windows 10 task manager.
Go to the Processes tab and look for processes related to the (877)764-4192 pop-up. One process worth looking at is spoolsv.eve; you should end this process and any other you think is related.
Step 2: Uninstall related programs
Next, you need to uninstall (877)764-4192 and its related programs from the Windows 10 control panel.
To do this simultaneously press the “Windows 10 + R” keys this will open the RUN box. Next in the box type Control panel and then click OK. In control panel look for and then click on Uninstall a program. You will find it under programs, once you’ve found it, Right click on (877)764-4192 and any other related program, and then choose uninstall.
Step 3: remove malicious registry files
This next part requires you to remove registry files related to the Windows 10 virus. To start with, press the “Windows + R” buttons at the same time. As before this will open the Run box.
In the Run box type, regedit, which will open the registry and enable you to remove the following files created by (877)764-4192.
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain “Default_Page_URL”
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionImage File Execution Optionsmsseces.exe
Step 4: Remove (877)764-4192 browser extensions
This next part comes with separate instructions for four of the most common browsers found on Windows 10.
- In the brower tool bar, find and click on the Chrome menu.
- Click on Tools.
- Next, select Extensions.
- Carefully choosing the extensions you want to remove, click the trash icon, this is usually next to the extension.
- When the confirmation box appears, click Remove.
- Open the Windows 10 desktop and launch IE.
- Next, look for the Tools button, and then click Manage add-ons.
- Now look underneath Show and click All add-ons. Here, you can remove the ones you do not know or require.
- Not all add-ons can be deleted. If you find this, choose the Remove option and then click close. Alternatively, you can choose to disable an add-on.
- Click the Firefox Menu button and choose Add-ons. You will now see the Add-ons manager tab open up.
- In the Add-ons manager tab, select Extensions and Appearance.
- You should now remove all the extensions that you neither need nor use.
- When ready, choose the Remove or Disable button.
- Next, when you see the Firefox pop-up press Restart.
At this moment, the Edge browser does not allow the use of extensions. So all we have to do is reset the homepage and search engine. This will remove the (877)746-4192 pop-up virus from Windows 10.
- To start with, click More (…) in the address bar, and then click Settings.
- Next, click under “Search in the address bar with” and type in your search engine of choice.
- Once you have chosen your preferred search engine, click Add as default.
NOTE: If any reader has any other information related to the issue, please feel free to add it to the comments section.