Thoughts On Investing In Private Businesses by Meb Faber
Guest: Episode #10 has no guest, but is co-hosted by Meb’s co-worker, Jeff Remsburg.
Topics: Episode #10 is our second “Listener Q&A” episode. This time, instead of spending the entire episode answering one question, Meb tackles many. Here’s a sample of a few of the topics you’ll hear him address:
- How should young investors balance low expected returns (ZIRP, U.S. CAPE, etc) with the need to invest young/early?
- How much should you allocate to your best idea or opportunity? You hear Charlie Munger talk about betting big on great opportunities. What is “big”?
- I get the gist of your global asset allocation strategy, but I’m not an expert on it. Does my lack of knowledge make it dangerous for me to invest this way since I don’t fully understand it? (As opposed to Peter Lynch’s mindset of “buy what you know.”)
- What does your (Meb’s) ideal portfolio look like right now?
- I’ve stayed away from low volume/liquidity ETFs I would like to own because volume is basically non-existent. Is that fear unfounded?
There are many more questions and answers, which dovetail into different topics including Meb’s thoughts on investing in private businesses, as well as several new business ideas which Meb would love to see an entrepreneur tackle. What are they? Find out on Episode 10.
Episode Sponsor: TheIdeaFarm.com
Comments or suggestions? Email us Feedback@TheMebFaberShow.com
To listen to Episode #10 on iTunes, click here
To listen to Episode #10 on Stitcher, click here
To listen to Episode #10 on Pocket Casts, click here
To listen to Episode #10 on Google Play, click here
To stream Episode #10, click here
Links from the Episode:
- “Lifecycle Investing: A New, Safe, and Audacious Way to Improve the Performance of Your Retirement Portfolio” – Ian Ayres
- “The Handbook of Portfolio Mathematics: Formulas for Optimal Allocation & Leverage” – Ralph Vince
- “The Leverage Space Trading Model: Reconciling Portfolio Management Strategies and Economic Theory” – Ralph Vince
- How Brazil’s Richest Man Lost $34.5 Billion
- “Has Einhorn Lost His Mojo?” – Meb Faber
- SSGA Survey with the FT – Return Expectations
- “How to Beat 98% of All Mutual Funds” – Meb Faber
- “6 Million Dollar Fintech Ideas” – Meb Faber
- “Take Lots of Risk or None at All? My Portfolio for 2016” – Meb Faber
Below is a list of conferences that are a good source of new ideas:
- Wine Retreat(Spring)
- AFG Research(Summer)
- Ira Sohn(Spring NYC, Summer SF, Fall London)
- Value Investing Congress (Spring Omaha/LA, Fall NYC)
- Value Conferences (Online)
- The Big Picture(Fall)
- Boston Investment Conference(Fall)
- Grant’s Conference(Spring, Fall)
- Invest for Kids(Fall)
- Santangels Forum(Fall)
- Robin Hood Investor’s Conference(Fall)
- Barron’s Roundtable (Recurring)
- UVa Investment Conference(Fall)
- Great Investors’ Best Ideas(Fall)
- Bloomberg Global Summit
- Harbor Investment Conference(Fall)
- Alpha Hedge West(Fall)
Read the transcript here.